4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2007 12:33 PM by pow_haaweeese

UIScrollBar  alpha or new skin advice c my site

pow_haaweeese
      hi all,
      I've been reading misc. tutorials, but haven't found the one that'll help me fix my UIScrollBar.

See my site I'm building (attached),

(okay..so #$% i can't figure out how to attach my picture..so...please just visualize a dark website, and a bright white scrollbar, visually distracting from everything else...[thanks for understanding])

I'm not yet educated enough with AS2 to build what I need from scratch. My UIScrollBar sticks out like a neon light above a car at make-out point...what I mean is, I want to make it like 10% alpha...or better yet.. I'd like to design my own, but again...building that from scratch is tough for me at this point.

I have an external text doc, and am able to have it load with my various portfolio descriptions...with this:

var descAll:LoadVars = new LoadVars();
      descAll.load("printAll.txt");
      // these next two lines, I've a feeling aren't doing anything...>smile.
      descWin._height = 75;
      descWin._width = 150;

descAll.onLoad = function() {
      //trace(descAll.fortune);
      descWin.text = descAll.fortune;
      };

so that works, I just want to tone-down, or be able to build a vert scroll set (arrows and box) and have them look good, but have them not be such a bold, attention getting stickout like a sour-thumb-white.

So either a skinning solution for the existing UIScrollBar component, (tried to follow one with the Halo.fla tutorial..but it lost me...wasn't clear...or...a code solution, even if it's pointing to another tutorial, that will allow me to build a clean-looking scrolling solution.

I appreciate your help, if you can

(a designer, trying to cross over to a designer that can code......with my brain...it ain't easy)
        • 2. Re: UIScrollBar  alpha or new skin advice c my site
          pow_haaweeese Level 1
          so following the actionscript help file..I found the HaloTheme.fla. and went into the suggested folder: ScrollBar Assets/States.

There are 15 or so states in there...each a movieclip.

If I want to have a trasparent (or heavily alpha'd, as it needs to be somewhat visible-enough to see and use) scrollbar...would I need to edit each of those individually?...I mean, to make those buttons transparent...I'd have to then make each of them movieclips to be able to edit each of them with an alpha setting..

it seems like such in-exact way to do it...it makes me think it's clearly not the correct way to modify the UIScrollBar component.....but is it the right or only way?

If anyone has built a tranparent-ish, low alpha'd scrollbar, I'd very much like to pick your brain on this.

thanks for what you can do...
          J.
          • 3. Re: UIScrollBar  alpha or new skin advice c my site
            Damon Edwards Level 3
            go to file-->import-->open external library.. go to the Macromedia root folder, open up Configuration-->ComponenentFLA-->StandardComponents.fla.. then when the library opens, open the folder Flash UI Components 2--->Themes--->MMDefault-->then drag the ScrollBar assets folder to your library.. edit those assets and you'll have a custom scrollbar
            • 4. Re: UIScrollBar  alpha or new skin advice c my site
              pow_haaweeese Level 1
              hi dzedward,
              I just wanted to reply and say thank you.
              I was able to edit the scrollbar info just like you said... and it worked.

here's what I did:
              (I've spelled it out so fith graders and any fellow actionscript-challenged designers like me can follow along >smile)

I copied the ScrollBar assests folder from the path you spoke of above- important to follow as you discribed:

"go to file-->import-->open external library.. go to the Macromedia root folder, open up Configuration-->ComponenentFLA--> StandardComponents.fla.. then when the library opens, open the folder Flash UI Components 2--->Themes--->MMDefault-->then drag the ScrollBar assets folder to your library.. edit those assets and you'll have a custom scrollbar"

(my "path" was a little different so I'll list:

Flash CS3--->Configuration--->Component Source--->ActionScript 2.0--->FLA--->HaloThemeFla)

Then I edited the VScrollBarAssests movie clip (as I am using one vertically), but I don't have to edit all the 15 or 20 in the individual folder (which I believe are the individual "parts" that the main movie clips were made from, as they're just a collection of those parts..)

These three movie clips:...

HScrollBarAssets (mc)
              ScrollBarAssests (mc)
              VScrollBarAssests (mc)

...are inside the ScollBar Assets folder (along with two other folders "states" and "elements" -- --- These folders I did not touch.

I'm not sure what the difference is between say "VScrollBarAssets" and just plain ol "ScrollAssets"...but...I chose to edit VScrollBarAssets (movieclip), as the scrollbar I needed was a vertical one, (sharp, huh) then I made some changes (very prominent ones..so I couldn't miss them, then went to main timeline and made a dynamic text box (multi-line), typed in some giberish, then drug a UIScollBar component from the components menu like normal...and..those changes were reflected.

I just wanted to say thanks again for all who helped. I'll do my best to do likewise as my actionscript abilities hopefully grow.