9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 11:06 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder

Snaptastic

Is there a script available that can save multiple pictures upon completion of editing to a different output folder of my choice other than the source folder all at the same time? Example I open 11 different photos from source folder x, I edit said 11 pictures and now want to save all 11 pictures to output folder xy all at the same time.  What I want to prevent is having to click save as select new folder for each and every picture I have open.

• 1. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
          Michael L Hale Level 5

What version of Photoshop are you using? Newer versions have a preference for 'Save as to original folder'. With that preference off you will not have to keep choosing the new folder.

• 2. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
            Snaptastic Level 1

I'm using Photoshop CS5. What I want is to be able to close all open pictures and save them all at once to a folder of my choosing. I don't want to save to the original source folder as I want the original to be untouched. Does this make sense.

• 3. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Does this help?

/* save open documents to location */

/* 2013, use it at your own risk */

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

var myDocument = app.activeDocument;

/* create dialog */

var dlg = new Window('dialog', "select files", [500,300,830,565]);

/*create list of open files, thanks to paul r */

dlg.fileList = dlg.add('listbox', [15,15,315,220], 'field', {multiselect: true});

/* populate the list with the open files’ names */

for (var o = 0; o < app.documents.length; o++) {

dlg.fileList.add ("item", app.documents[o].name);

dlg.fileList.items[o].selected = true

};

/* buttons for ok, and cancel */

dlg.buildBtn = dlg.add('button', [13,230,160,255], 'OK', {name:'ok'});

dlg.cancelBtn = dlg.add('button', [170,230,317,255], 'Cancel', {name:'cancel'});

dlg.center();

/* show the window */

var myReturn = dlg.show ();

if (myReturn == true) {

/* get the selcted ones */

var theSelected = new Array;

for (var p = 0; p < dlg.fileList.items.length; p++) {

if (dlg.fileList.items[p].selected == true) {

theSelected = theSelected.concat(app.documents[p])

}

};

/* folder selection */

var theFolder = Folder.selectDialog("select a folder");

if (theFolder) {

var thePath = theFolder.fullName;

psdOpts = new PhotoshopSaveOptions();

psdOpts.embedColorProfile = true;

psdOpts.alphaChannels = true;

psdOpts.layers = true;

psdOpts.spotColors = true;

/* save the psds */

for (var m = 0; m < theSelected.length; m++) {

app.activeDocument = theSelected[m];

var theDoc = app.activeDocument;

try {var basename = theDoc.name.match(/(.*)\.[^\.]+$/)[1]}

catch (e) {var basename = theDoc.name};

if (File(thePath+'/'+basename+".psd").exists == false) {

theDoc.saveAs((new File(thePath+'/'+basename+".psd")),psdOpts,false);

theDoc.close()

}

else {alert ("a file named "+basename+".psd"+" already exists in that folder")}

}

}

}

};

• 4. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
                Snaptastic Level 1

c.pfaffenbichler

Thank you very much for your response, but I have to be honest with you and say wow that blew my mind and I have no idea what it does or how to incorporate it as I am still learning things. But thank you very much

• 5. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
                  Snaptastic Level 1

In case it's important I'm running PS on a Mac

• 6. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If you want to give it a try paste the text into a new file in ExtendScript Toolkit (part of Photoshop’s installation, Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/ExtendScript Toolkit … and save it as a jsx-file into Photoshop’s Presets/Scripts-folder.

After restarting Photoshop the Script should be available under File > Scripts and can be assigned a Keyboard Shortcut directly, recorded into an Action, be used in a Configurator-Panel or started from ExtendScript Toolkit directly.

• 7. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
                      Snaptastic Level 1

Thank you very much. I tried this and I think it may suit my purpose. I can not seem to get it to appear under scripts I restarted P'S still nothing. I saved to Adobe Scripts file. When run the script it will not allow me to search for for a destination that i want to create new folder. Also is there a way to make it appear under extensions with a GUY for easy access. Appreciate your help.

• 9. Re: Saving multiple images at one time to a different folder
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

The proper location for the jsx file is the Presets/Scripts folder right beside the app.