10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 10:02 AM by Peter Spier

installing font indesing cs6

fireblade Level 1

Hi

i need to install fonts for using on a indesing document, i recevived the fonts, but indesing doesn't recognize them and I have fontexplorer doesn't recognize them too.

I have tried to copy the fonts in the library folder of the systam (mac) and in the fonts folder of indesing, but when opening the document, it says the fonts are missing.Indesign cs6.

Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 09.54.46.png

I don't know why the files show zero bytes

any idea?

thanks

• 1. Re: installing font indesing cs6
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The files show 0 bytes because that's their length.

These are older types of Mac fonts that were either zipped badly or first copied to, then from, a Windows machine. Windows cannot handle the internal file format of this older type of fonts and thus the files are empty.

Easiest fix is to order the fonts directly from the source: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontfont/ff-fago/

• 2. Re: installing font indesing cs6
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Well, that's not really it, at least not entirely. The older Mac fonts use both a Data fork and a Resource fork, and for reasons know only tot he Apple gods only the resource fork was used (which is also, apparently, related to why older Mac fonts became corrupt so often the resource fork was not locked for writing). Even if the files are perfectly intact Windows cannot "see" anything but the data fork for Mac file, so there is no font data to use.

• 3. Re: installing font indesing cs6
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The crucial point is, even though now the fonts are back at home on a Mac, it's too late.

(It was "too late" the moment the designer who used these old fonts packaged them and sent them off to someone else using a Windows machine. But perhaps the designer didn't know that, at the time.)

• 4. Re: installing font indesing cs6

Missed the part where the fonts were back on the Mac. You're right -- it's a problem of having done something with the package on Windows before returning to the Mac. We used to see this when burning CDs, though it's more than ten years since I worked at that company and I dont recall exactly waht we were doing that made us burn disks from Mac files on a Windows machine.

I think it's probably possible to manually find and include the resource fork on a windows machine, but I for sure haven't made the attempt.

• 5. Re: installing font indesing cs6
                  fireblade Level 1

The font is zipped from a mac osx and opened on another mac osx but doesn't work, something wrong with original files? the zompressing method?

why it doesn't work?

• 6. Re: installing font indesing cs6

OK, sounds like you only got half the font then. Try including it in a file on the machine that it was originally installed on and package that file, then zip the font folder from the package and transfer that.

• 7. Re: installing font indesing cs6
                      Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We used to see this when burning CDs, though it's more than ten years since I worked at that company

Well, looking at the file dates in the screenshot, it's been more than ten years since these files were created. Reassembling resource and data fork is doable, but it's been ten years since I knew how.

fireblade, if you have access to the source Mac then make sure that the files aren't already zero K there. In ye olden days the secret was to avoid zipping and only use Stuffit, but unless the source Mac is running 10.3 or whatever, then I doubt that this trick will help you.

I see a reference to "afm" in that screenshot. I recall that as a dead giveaway that these files were originally compiled on Windows. Did Mac T1 fonts have the separate afm and pfm files as they did on Windows? Once again, this is all too far in the past for me to have clear memories.

Dang it, when did I get old? I forget that, too

• 8. Re: installing font indesing cs6

Joel Cherney wrote:

Did Mac T1 fonts have the separate afm and pfm files as they did on Windows?

My dim memory is that they did.

• 9. Re: installing font indesing cs6
                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Macintosh PostScript Type 1 fonts don't use separate AFM and PFM files. The metrics are stored in the "screen font" file.

• 10. Re: installing font indesing cs6

I'll bow to your memory on that, though I do have strong recollections of .afm files for some fonts from one of our designer clients. Joel's eyes must be a lot better than mine -- I can't make out much of anything from the screen shot.