12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 7:31 AM by armona22

Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over

armona22

I'm getting stuck again and again at the point where it asks to insert the Word text in the 3 placeholders. First one OK, and then it's like: "figure the rest out for yourself". What exactly goes in container 2 and in container 3? For instance I think the part with the 'links' should not be inserted. And the last paragraph does not appear in the example in the first part of the tutorial. If the creator of the tutorial feels it necessary to tell us that it's no problem if you've never built a website before, then he should keep it step by step and keep the learning curve for a first timer in mind! I HAVE built a few websites before, but this one keeps me puzzled over and again, because the result is not what is shown in the tutorial, and the images do not correspond fully to what I get to see in the Dreamweaver CC panels. One does not learn from just "do this and do that", but only if the reasons why are given as well.

• 1. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Sorry you're having difficulty following the video tutorial. At the end of video 2, paste "Cable Car Tips" and the following two paragraphs into the <aside> element with the ID "sidebar". The copyright paragraph goes in the <footer> element.

The image caption, links, and "Be Where It's At" text are used in later videos. The <div> with the ID "hero" is also dealt with in later videos.

The download files contain a folder called "completed" which shows you what the final project looks like. This is designed to guide you if anything isn't immediately clear.

I agree that giving reasons for doing things is important. However, that would have made the video course much longer. The idea of this course was to give a brief taster of working with Dreamweaver CC. If you look in the What's Next section at the bottom of the video tutorial page, you'll see there's a link to a six-part written tutorial that goes through the construction of the Bayside Beat site in much greater detail. It not only shows you what to do, but it explains why. The written tutorial begins on http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.html.

Note: the video and written tutorials were created on the original version of Dreamweaver CC, which was released in May 2013. The Dreamweaver 13.1 update to Dreamweaver CC, which was released in August, makes some changes to the user interface, but they should not affect the tutorials. However, if you do encounter further problems, just post here, and either I or someone else will try to help you.

• 2. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
            armona22 Level 1

Thank you! It's all clear now!

2013/11/27 David_Powers <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over created by

David_Powers <http://forums.adobe.com/people/David_Powers> in *Build and

style a web page in Dreamweaver* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5879521#5879521

• 3. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
              armona22 Level 1

I'm sorry that I said that it is all clear now. In fact it is not. You

bstated that the text Riding the Cable Cars with it's paragraphs goes into

the "aside" element. This is not true according to the video.......... So

I'm left with the same question as before. One thing is clear though: I'm

now seriously considering NOT to buy a subscription to Dreamweaver. I'm not

in the habit of looking at the finished relult all the time in order to

find out what was meant in the instructions in the video before.

Kind regards

Adrian Rooymans

style a web page in Dreamweaver* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5879521#5879521

• 4. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over

I'm sorry you're still having problems, Adrian, but if you look back at my original post, I wrote that "Cable Car Tips" and the following two paragraphs go in the <aside> element.

"Riding the Cable Cars" was pasted into the <article> element with the ID main, as shown in the video.

• 5. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                  armona22 Level 1

Indeed you were right. I got nervous. Is it the end of the story? NO!!!

I'll first tell you who I am:

74 years of age, University, Conservatory of Music, Economics degree,

Marketing degree, 3D designer, 10 languages, and more. I am telling this

because I do not understand why I should be the unique one not to

understand a simple video instruction.

I am now attaching a file in which you can see a problem that I am unable

to solve, and it drives me nuts:

The video shows something in the properties field when "Show Set" is

active, and with main.css selected. No matter how I shake or dance: mine

stays blank! If I switch the setting of I first have to activate the design

panel (which brings up all sorts of properties in the properties panel.

Then I select main.css and evrything disappears, after which I can no

longer activate the Show Set button...

Best regardes

Adrian Rooymans

2013/11/28 David_Powers <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

style a web page in Dreamweaver* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5883050#5883050

• 6. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                    armona22 Level 1

And again, I found the error.... The video voice says something about the

selectors, 'this is that, and that means this and such is so....' The

omission that it does not say, "Select .centered and then, with main.css

selected activate Show Set

2013/11/28 David_Powers <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

style a web page in Dreamweaver* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5883050#5883050

• 7. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                      armona22 Level 1

Next one... aaaarrrrgggghhhh

Look at the attached screenshot. Ik keep wondering why in the video the

cursor goes from Insert to Files, and voila! the Files Panel disappears. If

I do that the panel appears instead of disappears.... (obvious, but in the

video the reverse happens and stays that way. I guess the creator quickly

did something else as well, without telling us)

Next one... aaaarrrrgggghhhh

A bit further on I have to change font color, and the video show a

multicolor selection panel. When I click on the color icon for the text I

get a color slider, and nowhere is the shown multicolor selector to be

found...

Oh and.... aaaarrrrgggghhhh

creating the group selector h1,h2 It first shows a selector with some #

text. The video does something to change this into h1,h2 and says: 'and

press Enter twice to register the new selector'. I press once and the h1,h2

text is there It's fixed, not blinking or whatever. I press Enter the

second time and it goes into Edit Mode again.

3 days in a row, and still not reached the final. I hope you understand the

feeling of total frustration. I am a person who does what is requested and

shown. I worked with an older version of Dreamweaver. In mho one should

never present a beginners thing which turns out not to be a step by step

and everything correct instruction. Especially not if there is an extended

one that is step by step, as you wrote. I now dare not even look at it.

• 8. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                        armona22 Level 1

Excuse for omitting the jpg file

• 9. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                          armona22 Level 1

The color selection problem

• 10. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over

This forum does not support email attachments. If you want to show a screenshot of your problem(s), you need to log into the web-based forum, and use the camera icon at the top of the message field to insert an image into your post.

insert_image.jpg

Images embedded in posts are usually scaled down, but they can be viewed full size by clicking the image.

I'm sorry you're still having difficulty with my video tutorial. When Adobe asked me to create it, the brief was to provide a series of short videos showing how to use Dreamweaver to create a simple web page. Web design is a complex subject, so attempting to cover absolutely everything in half an hour of videos is impossible, but the target audience is subscribers to Creative Cloud, who might already be familiar with other Adobe programs, but are new to Dreamweaver. It's intended to provide a brief sampler of what Dreamweaver is capable of. The written tutorial is aimed at beginners who need more detailed help.

As I mentioned earlier, the videos were recorded using the original version of Dreamweaver CC. The colour picker was updated in Dreamweaver 13.1, which explains why you don't see the colour swatches shown in the video. However, the updated colour picker brings Dreamweaver in line with other Adobe programs, so it was felt that the change would be sufficiently familiar to designers. I'm sorry if it confused you.

Although you say you have built websites before, I wonder if you have a good knowledge of HTML and CSS? Understanding both technologies is essential to success with Dreamweaver. If you feel uncomfortable with code or don't want to learn it, you might be better off using Adobe Muse, which is also part of the Creative Suite. It's designed to build websites without a need for working with the code.

On the other hand, if you would like to persevere with Dreamweaver, I suggest that you take a look at Approaches to learning web design. It's a short video (less than 3 minutes) created by James Williamson, and is one of the free videos in Dreamweaver CC: Essential Training in the lynda.com Online Training Library. As James explains, his course doesn't cover the fundamentals of HTML and CSS. Yet his "essential training" course runs for more than eight hours. My own Dreamweaver CC: Learn by Video course (published by Peachpit/Adobe Press) runs for approximately 12 hours, and it still doesn't cover every aspect of web design or Dreamweaver functionality. It's a massive subject, but one that can be fascinating. Your age should be no impediment. Many of the most active people providing help in the main Dreamweaver support forum are in their sixties and seventies (including me).

• 11. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                              armona22 Level 1

Thank you for your extensive explanation! I fully understand and appreciate

what you are saying. Yet.... if I see and hear instructions that do no

longer apply to a new version it's becoming complicated. Reason is that one

has to start finding out if it was a personal mistake, if it is a mistake

in the video or if it no longer applies because Adobe secretly installed an

update without warning the user about what might happen, or warning the

user that training videos may not longer be up to date..... Example is the

instruction about bringing the footer back to the bottom of the page. It

says 'choose clear and click on the button for 'left', whereas that now in

fact brings everything back to what it was before this instruction (yes it

is possible to bring that button up again, but it makes it even more

confusing). Some other things I have corrected by going into the code and

make changes there..  However, I understand very well that it is up to

Adobe to ask you to revise the video and bring it up to date.

Note: I have experienced many similar problems with other Adobe products,

such as Premiere Pro or Illustrator.

Kind regards

Adrian Rooymans

2013/11/29 David_Powers <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

style a web page in Dreamweaver* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5884825#5884825

• 12. Re: Bayside Beat tutorial stuck at the same point over and over
                                armona22 Level 1

Sorry to say... I have decided to never use Dreamweaver again. I now worked

on the instructions for the unordered list, and ended up with such a mess

that I simply don't want to start over again, doing the whole tutorial

again. Dreamweaver apparently now saves the index html constantly without

warning, making it impossible to save and go back to when I saved it

myself. I even saved a copy outside the side, and then brought it back....

to no avail. It was impossible to follow the instructions since all the

steps resulted in something unexpected.

Adobe should start thinking about the customer and not solely about the

glory of their products.

Kind regards

Adrian Rooymans

2013/11/29 David_Powers <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

style a web page in Dreamweaver* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5884825#5884825