11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 7:31 AM by Laubender

Creating outlines for text in cs5.5

Y Rose

I have CS5 and when I outline text, it makes a copy of the text in outlines.

I was working on a schools computer that has cs5.5 and when I tried outlining the text, it didn't copy the type, and it anchored the outlined text into the text box.  Is there any way to change the settings on this? I want it to create a free standing copy of the original text, just outlined.

• 1. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure I understand waht you are asking, but you'll get differnt results if you select the text or if you select the text frame.

Why are you converting the text to outlines?

• 2. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
            Y Rose Level 1

I selected the text - 2 words - and when I chose create outlines, it converted the text into outlines and anchored it into the text box, instead of creating a copy and leaving the original text as is. I also don't want it to be anchored into the text box.

In this case I need the text to act as a frame to place an image into it.

• 3. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5

I've never seen a case where creting outlines made a copy of the text automatically and then converted that to outlines (leaving the orignal editable text in place), other than by running a script. Is that what you mean?

Try copying the text and pasting into a new frame, then select the frame and convert to outlines.

• 4. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                Y Rose Level 1

I have CS5 ME version and when I select text and then choose create outlines - it makes a copy of my text leaving the original editable text. I don't run any scripts.

• 5. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5

There are certainly differences in the ME versions. I've forgotten -- was CS5 ME still produced by Winsoft?

• 6. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                    Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can leave a copy if you hold down the Alt/Option key when you choose Type > Create Outlines. Is it possible you might have a modifier key selected when choosing the command?

Also, try restoring your InDesign preferences. Here's how:

FAQ: How do I reset or "trash" preferences?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                      Y Rose Level 1

I think it was produced by winsoft - could be that is why it works that way - it certainly is much better than the way cs5.5 works in my opinion.

• 8. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                        Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I have CS5 ME version and when I select text and then choose create outlines - it makes a copy of my text leaving the original editable text.

Y Rose, If i remember there a script for ME (Winsof version) to create outline "CreateOutlinesScripts" download from here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72277778/CreateOutlinesScripts.zip

• 9. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Salah Fadlabi – I don't have the ME version, so I cannot test it on that, but I inspected the script "CreateOutlinesRemoveOriginal_selection.jsx":

//CreateOutlinesRemoveOriginal_selection.jsx
                          //Made for InDesign ME:

try{
                              obj=app.selection[0];
                              obj.createOutlines();
                              obj.remove();

}catch(e){}

If I get that right, the script will remove the original selection. Ok. But it will not anchor the created outlines to the text. But anchoring the outlines is what Y Rose likes to do (as I understand it).

It's not that easy to make that into a script.
                          There are two basic cases:

1. The selection is a single line of text (or part of a single line)

=> create outline in InDesign ME (as I understand it) => One single group object not anchored, selection intact (editable text)

=> create outline in None-InDesign ME => One single group object  anchored and anchor character selected, originally selected text is removed

That case should be easily scriptable…

The second case is more complex:

2. The selected text is multiline

=> create outline in InDesign ME (as I understand it) => Several single group objects not anchored added to a "super"-group, selection intact (editable text)

=> create outline in None-InDesign ME => Several single group objects individually anchored (one group per selected line) to the text,  anchor characters selected, originally selected text is removed. Blanks between line ending/line beginning are retained as blank characters and are also selected.

@Y Rose – As I said, I cannot test it in ME, but could you test two script snippets (ExtendScript-JavaScript) and show the results as screen grabs here?

HowToInsertScreenShot.png

Select some text in two lines and run the script snippet 1:

1. Snippet:

//CreateOutlines_Parameter_TRUE_SELECTION.jsx
                          try{
                              app.selection[0].createOutlines(true);
                              }catch(e){alert(e.message)};

Select some other text in two lines and run the script snippet 2:

2. Snippet:

//CreateOutlines_Parameter_FALSE_SELECTION.jsx
                          try{
                              app.selection[0].createOutlines(false);
                              }catch(e){alert(e.message)};

If there are any alerts, please show the alerts as screen grabs as well…

Uwe

• 10. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                            Y Rose Level 1

Thanks for all your help.

I have cs5 ME and it works exactly how I like it. It makes a copy of the text, leaving the original editable text, and it does not anchor it inside the text box.

I was working on a school's computer that has cs5.5 (not ME) and it was not leaving the original text, and it was anchoring it inside the text box - both of which I don't want to happen. I was just checking to see if there's an easy solution or some setting that I can change to make it work the way I like. I don't work on that computer much, but I can try these scripts the next time I need it.

Thank You

• 11. Re: Creating outlines for text in cs5.5
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Y Rose – when on a computer with None-ME InDesign just use the tip Steve gave you on answer #6.

Or use the keyboard shortcut for it:

alt + shift + cmd + o

Uwe

1 person found this helpful