5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 2:59 AM by Peter Spier

How to keep all text and formats the same on multiple computers?

bleduc1 Level 1

I'm creating a file in InDesign CS6 on my Windows computer. I keep everything on my flash drive. When I go to school, I bring my flash drive with me and open it up on the Mac computer, but then there are are compatibility issues. There seems to be missing fonts and formats but the school uses the same version of InDesign I do. Now I was told a lot of things of how to keep the fonts and formats the same (embed the links, package the files, outline the text, save as IDML). However, it is not clear to me what each of those options do, so I don't know when or why to use them. So I just want to make sure that when I bring in my file in next Monday, I won't have any missing fonts or formats. What would you suggest is the proper things to do to keep everything the same on multiple computers? And could you please explain why?

• 1. Re: How to keep all text and formats the same on multiple computers?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you want cross-paltform comaptibility limit the fonts to OpenType or Windows TrueType formats, both of which work on both Mac and PC. To avoid missing font warnings the fonts must either be installed on each computer, or they must be in a folder named Document Fonts in the same location as the .indd file they are to work with. Packaging the file will build taht folder for you.

the rest of the stuff in your list won't help you. .idml would allow you to open on an older version, but does nothing for your situation. Embedding the links will keep you from having missing links, but so will packaging, and embedded links will make the file much larger and harder to work with.

For goodness sake, don't even think about outlining the text. It stops being text when you do that and you can no longer edit it.

And finally. do yourself a big favor and don't attempt to actually work on your file directly from the flash drive. Copy the whole package folder to the hard drive, work on it, then copy back. You don't want to know how many files are fatally damaged by write errors on flash drives.

• 2. Re: How to keep all text and formats the same on multiple computers?
            bleduc1 Level 1

I did not know flash drives have compatibility issues.

Okay got it, packaging works best.

What do you mean by OpenType or TrueType formats?

• 3. Re: How to keep all text and formats the same on multiple computers?

Fonts come in different formats, or "flavors," if you will. OpenType fonts are completely cross-platform and are the newest format, with the ability to hold hundreds of glyphs. TrueType is an older format, and comes in both Windows and Macintosh formats, but since OS X is able to read Windows format TT fonts you'll probably not see a lot of Mac format TT fonts around anymore other than very old versions. Postescript Type 1 fonst are still avaialable but but are also becomiong less common (and als come in Windows and Mac formats), and finally, there are som Mac .dfont fonts installed on Mac as system fonts which should be completely avoided in any cross-platform workflow.

• 4. Re: How to keep all text and formats the same on multiple computers?
                bleduc1 Level 1

I see. How do I apply one of them? Are they part of the packaging?

• 5. Re: How to keep all text and formats the same on multiple computers?

You have to check to see what format the fonts you are using were supplied in.

It's not a matter of choosing a font and setting its format, its what format was supplied when you aquired the font. The fonts supplied by Adobe with your Creative Suite applications are all OpenType, for example. Some vendors, like Adobe, have adopted naming conventions that will help. The sufixes Std, Pro (Minion Pro or Gill Sans Std, for example) and Com (for Linotype fonts that have very large glyph sets to support several dozen languages) all inidcate OpenType versions. For other vendors it is not as clearcut and you must either check the font properties or the font icons.

In your font list in ID, OpenType fonts will use an "O" icon, TrueType will use "TT" and Postscript Type1 will use "a". Mac .dfonts are also self-explanatory when you look at the name.