3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 7:02 PM by Kawika808

How can I smooth a clip with part cut out?

Kawika808 Level 1

How can I smooth a clip with part cut out?  Someone walked in front of the camera when I was shooting; I removed the frames with the person in them, but this left a slight visual hiccup.  What's the best way to smooth this out in APE12?

• 1. Re: How can I smooth a clip with part cut out?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The professional approach is to temporarily cut to another camera angle on the scene for a moment.

I know of no other way.

• 2. Re: How can I smooth a clip with part cut out?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not have a "cut-away," as Steve mentions, then with those problem Frames removed, I would add a Cross-Dissolve between the two Clips (two Clips, after you have cut out the offending footage), BUT, one thing to consider with any Dissolve Transition, is Handles. You need enough to allow for the Transition - so you might need to Trim the first Clip a few Frames more, and the following Clip, a few Frames less. For a bit more on Handles, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3727485#3727485

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

• 3. Re: How can I smooth a clip with part cut out?
              Kawika808 Level 1

Steve G. and Bill H.,

Thanks for the quick answers.  Cut-away would have been a bit difficult--the subject was a moving lobster boat about 1/4 mile offshore.  And in any event the moment is gone.

The visual hiccup is very slight, since the boat didn't move that far in the interim and the only other motion was random changes in the surface of the sea due to a weak swell and minor texture movement due to a light wind.  I suspect that a dissolve might call more attention to it, so I might just let it go.  But I'll definitely try that approach.

I'll take a look at the article--thanks again.