2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 9:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Question Element 9 Storage Space?

waterworshipper Level 1

Running Windows 7 - 64 bits

Please speak plain and simple and do not use industry slang words etc, etc, I'm a rookie here thank you.

I deleted a video clip off of my Winows Live Photo Gallary and it immediately impacted my Adobe video I was creating at the time. For a rookie like myself this was confusing so I re-stored it re-entered back into the video and everything was good.

Even though I still had the images and video stored on my camera software I needed to export that back into Window Live.

Now I have a ton of video clips even with 8.0 GB I have to think of removing some eventually. What should I do? Question I use this for marketing purposes for my company once I save a video I created to my computer is it safe to remove clips from that same movie? I do have an external hard drive for storage space but its a pain to use it I like having old clips on my sytem and I use what I need from them in future marketing. How should I go about this safely so I can make space and store it away safely with ez access please. Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Question Element 9 Storage Space?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure what the problem is, or what the question is either.

In PrE, when you Import an Asset, whether Video, Still, or graphic, that/those media file(s) is/are NOT Imported into the Project - only the links to them. For more background, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

I do not know how any Windows program figures into the mix, but if you can clarify, then maybe we can be more useful to you.

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Question Element 9 Storage Space?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

I took at look at the situation that you described when you deleted a photo from Windows Live Photo Gallery and that created problems with a Premiere Elements project (probably a Media Offline/Missing Media Message).

My bottom line conclusion: When you delete individual photos from the Windows Live Photo Gallery, you are deleting originals from the computer hard drive save location. If these same photos are being used in a Premiere Elements project, you are in trouble since Premiere Elements needs to link back to the photo original at its hard drive save location. (Premiere Elements has copies, not originals, and depends on that link back to originals.)

What you also should look into are the Windows Live Photo Gallery Options which may be automatically scheduling the deletion of items from the computer hard drive.

If you used the Elements Organizer for organizing these photos, that program allows you to delete just the photo thumbnail in the Elements Organizer and not the original from the hard drive as well.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/choose-which-pictures-and-videos-are-disp layed-in-windows-photo-gallery

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/windows-photo-gallery-frequently-asked-qu estions

Some thoughts on your direct questions.

You wrote

Now I have a ton of video clips even with 8.0 GB I have to think of removing some eventually. What should I do?

I would not be deleting via Windows Live Photo Gallery.

You wrote

once I save a video I created to my computer is it safe to remove clips from that same movie?

Yes, since the clips are in the movie. But, if you want to reuse the project that created the movie, no it is not safe. And, if those same clips that went into this movie are being used in another project, no it is not safe.

You wrote

How should I go about this safely so I can make space and store it away safely with ez access please

Look into the Project Archiver (Trimmed or Copy option) for saving projects along with source media.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Please review. If any quesitons, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR