8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 10:43 AM by AJDesignCo

Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign

AJDesignCo Level 1

I am running InDesign CS6 8.0.2 on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9. InDesign launches just fine, and I'm not getting any error messages. But once in a while my system just stops responding. I can't even force quit applications. I have to just manually power down by holding the power button. I thought it might be a hard drive issue, but I recently replaced my stock HD with a SSD, and the problem persists. And by the way, there is no application crash or error report available. The system just freezes completely and I have no option but to power down.

The only common thread I can point to is that InDesign is running.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to understand what is happening? If InDesign is causing the system to freeze, could it be a plugin or extension issue?

I'm grateful for any support or ideas you might offer.

• 1. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Andy

Can you let me know your full system specs please?

Can you test this while only running InDesign (try not to start up many applications) and see if the problem persists?

Is there anything in particular you might be doing in InDesign when the Freeze occurs, like trying to span a table across 4 columns, or something that is unusual???

Can you also try creating a new user and login from that and see if the problem persists?

• 2. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In line with that advice, it might help to test both by starting up with the Shift key depressed to prevent loading of background applications, and also to create a new user account and log in with that. The user account test can tell us if the problem is a user problem, or something wrong in ID or the system.

• 3. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign
              AJDesignCo Level 1

Hi Eugene, Thanks for offering to help. Here is some of the information you requested:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          2.6 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          6 MB

Memory:          16 GB

Boot ROM Version:          MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system):          2.1f175

Serial Number (system):          C02J604LF1G4

Hardware UUID:          76824BFD-88A3-5D43-B6E0-15EA0F708A85

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:          Enabled

System Software Overview:

System Version:          OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Kernel Version:          Darwin 13.0.0

Boot Volume:          Macintosh HD

Boot Mode:          Normal

Computer Name:          Andy’s MacBook Pro

User Name:          Andy Johnston (AJ)

Secure Virtual Memory:          Enabled

Time since boot:          1:18

I don't know that I can do anything to reproduce the freeze. What happens usually is that I open InDesign and work on a file. When finished, I save my work, and move to another task in a different application (managing email in the Chrome browser, for example). At some point in the future and with no apparent action to initiate the crash, my system stops responding.

The crash has probably happened while I was using InDesign in the past, but most of the time I notice the system begin to lock up when I'm in the browser. I know, I know...maybe the browser is the culprit.

I did look at the Extension Manager and noticed there were quite a few warning icons. When I hover over them, I see the message "Extension may not function properly because it does not meet the dependency condition."

extension manager.jpg

Does this information help track down the issue?

• 4. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign

Well - I think you need to start tracking down issues.

As Peter suggested - hold down shift key while booting and then launch InDesign.

Keep open apps to a minimum and continue to work and see if it freezes.

You could also try do some other work without ever opening InDesign and flick back and forward into your email from time to time.

I'd also be inclined to remove any

1. Extensions you are no longer using,
                2. Any extensions that have warnings and contact the vendor
                3. Any non-adobe extensions that are not essential.

There's a InDesign Cleaning Tool for reinstalling - which should help http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

But we don't know if the culprit is InDesign - unless you test the system without ever opening InDesign.

• 5. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yeah, those warnings are not a good sign. Did you upgrade the OS after installing CS6? If the answer is yes, it would be a good idea to reinstall CS6.

• 6. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign

I'd also be inclined to go through your Browser extensions too - remove any non-essential extensions that you may have installed, like ad blockers, and screengrabbers etc. - if you have any.

• 7. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign
                      AJDesignCo Level 1

Thanks, Eugene. I'll plan an InDesign-only work session the next opportunity I have. And I run a pretty clean browser. I do use AdBlockPlus, a screen capture utility from Google and LastPass, but I doubt those are the problem (since they are established developers). But if the other strategy for isolating InDesign proves fruitless, I will investigate those plugins and Chrome itself.

Peter: Yes, I did upgrade to OS x 10.9 after I installed CS6. A reinstall may indeed be in order.

Thank you both!

• 8. Re: Unexplained System Crashes While Running InDesign
                        AJDesignCo Level 1

I reinstalled CS6 and checked the Extension Manager. No warning icons, no dependency condition problems. Then I updated everything using the Creative Cloud Desktop Application and now the dependency condition problems are back when I look at InDesign in Extension Manager.

By the way, the system freeze/crash behavior existed before I upgraded to OS X 10.9.

So far, I haven't had a crash since reinstalling CS6. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I find anything new.

Thanks!