6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 6:19 PM by newbie9999

First use ERROR Message?

newbie9999

On first use of Premiere Elements after install get error message:

Adobe Premiere Elements could not start.  Please uninstall and reinstall the application.

One I'd like to know? and Second will this solve the "problem"?

• 1. Re: First use ERROR Message?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-If Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: First use ERROR Message?
            newbie9999 Level 1

Here's additional info:

- Permiere Elements 12

- WIndows 8

- Intel HD Graphics 4000 - I did go to the notebook manufactuere's site for graphics driver updates and there were none.

- Driver Version/Date:  9.17.10.3040  -   22/02/2013

Photoshop Elements seems to work fine.

Please let me know if other info required.

• 3. Re: First use ERROR Message?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

newbie9999

The answers are in the details and they are lacking in the information needed to solve this issue.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

And, as John T. Smith has asked, is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

All basic Q&A background essentials.

Uninstall, reinstall is often suggested as part of the no start issue. You could have a bad install. Factors need to be ruled in and out. No guarantees. I would suggest the following scheme for this uninstall, reinstall...I am assuming that you have never gotten into the Premiere Elements workspace with the current (first?) install.

1. Control Panel, usual uninstall

2. Run the ccleaner (regular and registry)

3. Reinstall (with antivirus and firewalls disabled in Action Center).

What do your computer resources look like? I saw no description of them?

Let us start with the above and then plan the troubleshooting strategy based on your answers.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: First use ERROR Message?
                newbie9999 Level 1

I uninstalled, ran Norton's registry cleaner, reinstalled .. and it works, 

Very werid that it did not work after initial install.  All this because the Version 7 of Premiere Elements and Photoshop I had are NOT supported on WIndows 8.  Not impressed.

• 5. Re: First use ERROR Message?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

newbie9999

Great news. Glad you have Premiere Elements 12 working on Windows 8 64 bit.

When I get a chance, I will check out Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 on Windows 8 64 bit. I am almost sure they work in that computer operating system.

Right now I have Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 on Windows 8.1 (had 8 before that) 64 bit. And, all is well on that computer operating system.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 6. Re: First use ERROR Message?
                    newbie9999 Level 1

Thanks to John T Smith and AT Romano for your help!

It's been a while since an installation of any kind has failed on me so I was surprised that this one did.  Would be curious to know what the inital problem was though, but I guess I'll never know.

Everything seems to be working fine now ... fingers crossed!

Thanks again ...