9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 4:32 PM by reecreationsco

.psd thumbnails

eklojoe Level 1

How can I view the thumbnail picture on a .psd file in CS6.  All I get is a blue box with psd/PS on it instead of the picture that's on that file.  This is very annoying because if I'm looking for a specific .psd file I have to look on my picture viewing software, find out what the file name is and then pull it up on photoshop.  I have CS3 and I have no problem seeing the picture.

• 1. Re: .psd thumbnails
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi!

I'll guess you have Windows. There is a companion program to Photoshop called Bridge CS6. You can point it to a directory, see the thumbnails and adjust the size of the thumbnails. Double click on the thumbnail to open in Photoshop.

There are times where you would want to see the thumbnails in Windows Explorer for times when you have to upload or open a psd file in another program. There is no thumbnail support in Windows for PSD thumbnails, so I might suggest a third party solution. There's

FPV http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/  (on sale now)

Ardfrey http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/

Both are "try before you buy".

Gene

• 2. Re: .psd thumbnails
            eklojoe Level 1

Yeah, Gene, thanks!  I forgot all about Bridge, althoughit would be  easier

to see them when you open a file.  But I"ll live with it.   Thanks again. 

Joe

• 3. Re: .psd thumbnails
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

There are workarounds.  You didn't confirm that you used Windows, but if yes, you can install an extension to Explore like Sagthumbs

http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/

It looks like a wee bit fiddly, but doable.  Personally, I rely on Bridge or the Windows 7 search facility with file names.

• 4. Re: .psd thumbnails
                eklojoe Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Trevor, it's much 

appreciated, but it doesn't fix my problem.  I have Fast Stone Image  Viewer,

Bridge and Explorer and there is no problem viewing the .psd thumbnails,  I was

wondering why I can't view them on CS6.  There is no problem at all  viewing

them on CS3, but it seems to me that Adobe always fixes something that 

ain't broke with each new version of Photoshop.  Be that is it maym thank  you

and all you guys for trying to help me.

• 5. Re: .psd thumbnails

eklojoe wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Trevor, it's much 

appreciated, but it doesn't fix my problem.  I have Fast Stone Image  Viewer,

Bridge and Explorer and there is no problem viewing the .psd thumbnails,  I was

wondering why I can't view them on CS6.  There is no problem at all  viewing

That's because the File > Open dialog does not belong to Photoshop, it belongs to Windows. The blue icon is the result of removing a file that wrote the thumbnails because of problems on some systems.

Photoshop had a file called "psicon.dll" that wrote the thumbnails at the OS level but on some systems there were "file locking" problems and Adobe took it out. Since then Adobe and Microsoft have not been able come to an agreement as to who should do what.

You can blame Adobe or Microsoft all you want, but you won't get .psd thumbnails at the OS level. I know, I tried for a year and that was years ago. That's why I went with FPV.

The software I linked you to are "codecs". Upon install they produce .psd thumbnails in Windows so that you can see them when you use File > Open as an example.

Give FPV a try and let me know what you think. Or go with sagethumbs as Trevor recommended.

Yes it does fix the thumbnail problem.

Gene

• 6. Re: .psd thumbnails
                    eklojoe Level 1

I see that my responce was cut short...it should have read: I have no 

problem viewing them on CS3.

• 7. Re: .psd thumbnails

Of course you wouldn't have a problem in CS3, Adobe's thumbnail dll was  removed in later versions because of the file lock bug.

I and Trevor have given you a fix for CS6. Do as you wish.

• 8. Re: .psd thumbnails
                        eklojoe Level 1

Thanks guys.

• 9. Re: .psd thumbnails
                          reecreationsco

Well I to am one of the, I don't wanna have to pay for another ANYTHING Photoshop CC or CS6's engineers should include a free download, stingy, kinda people.  I'm sure FPV codec is wonderful and yes they deserve the $15 but programs of Adobe's caliper should not require you to purchase addional code just to see a preview.  If you to  switch your esplorer to FastStone Image View http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm you can see psp and raw files. 

I did some searching and found a FREE method to all this madness:  It's called Sagethumbs and you can download here: http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/.  You can change the way the thumbnails look and even add what program is set as default to open it.  It shows all my psp, psd, CR2 (canon raw) etc.

Hope this helps,

Reecy

http://sagethumbs.sourceforge.net/img/sagethumbs-context-menu.png