3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 5:47 AM by Peter Spier

indesign CC spell check

mrpaine

I am using indesign CC and when I spell check the document i am working on it indicates that pretty much every word is spelled incorrectly (the aren't) I have check and my dictionary is set to English, however the spell check window indicates that it is set to Tamil (India)

• 1. Re: indesign CC spell check
          Ellis home Level 4

What language do you see in Type/Character with text selected?

• 2. Re: indesign CC spell check
            mrpaine Level 1

It said "Tamil (india)" in that pallete, I didn't realize you could set the language there. Thanks for your help! Problem 100% solved.

• 3. Re: indesign CC spell check
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That is THE place you set the language, other than as part of a style definition. Many users are confused by the dictionary options in the application preferences. This does not select a default language or affect the text in any way, it's just where you get to choose which dictionary vendor will be used, when more than one is installed, to spell-check and hyphenate text to which that particular language has been assigned.

As a character-level attribute, you have the ability to assigne the correct language to every bit of text in the document, so if you are mixing in "foreign" words they will be spell-checked according to the correct dictionary.