4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 6:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premier Elements 12 on i7 4500U Turbo

Djdimauro

I'm considering acquiring a Sony Vaio Flip 15.

Hoping to get "the best of both worlds". Wanted mobility of laptop, with added feature of a converable (to tablet mode), while still having enough power to support my video editing using Adobe Premier Elements.

The System Configuration of the Sony Vaio Flip 15 I am considering:

• 4th gen Intel Core i7 4500U (1.8Ghz / 3.0Ghz with Turbo Boost)
      • Windows 8 PRO 64bit
      • 15.5 Full HD IPS TRILLUMINOUS Display for mobile (1920 x 1080) Touch Screen
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 735M w/ Optimus (2GB) hybrid graphics
      • 256GB (256GB x 1) solid state drive (I also have 1TB of NAS - 2TB mirrored) that I use to store my media)
      • 16GB (8GB x2) DDR3L-1600Mhz

Specs for Premier Elements System Requirements indicate a 2GHz processor of faster.

My questions:

1. Will the overdrive capabilities of the i7 4500U (1.8GHz / 3.0GHz with Turbo) support Elements needs - and I don't just mean "install"?
      2. I've seen post regarding Elements support for NVIDIA drivers. I specifically looked for an NVIDIA card figuring Elements would perform better on and non-integrated video card. Will I have issues with the NVIDIA card?

Any enlightening responses would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12 on i7 4500U Turbo
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've found this benchmark chart very helpful.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Generally I recommend that for video editing people stick with processors that rate 6000 or higher.

That processor rates a 3966 -- so I'd consider it a less than par editing machine.

But others may disagree.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12 on i7 4500U Turbo
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to the CPU specs., that Steve provided a chart for, I would opt for a laptop that offers a second, physical HDD, beyond that one SSD.

Your NAS will be great for storing media, and archiving, BUT it will be very slow, if you are editing to/from it. Even if it offers a dual-Gigabit NIC (most laptops do NOT offer that option). Now, one CAN use an external, but I would recommend only doing so with a USB 3.0, or eSATA connection.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12 on i7 4500U Turbo
              Djdimauro Level 1

Bill and Steve,

Thank you for your replies.

Latest update:

I've abandoned the idea of including my requirement for a Convertable/Tablet. Given the processor requirements suggested by Steve and Bill's suggestion of a second storage drive, I began to reseach Gaming Laptops. I found two within my price range that seemed to have the cababilities that would support my video editing needs.

The Alienware 14:

• 4th gen Intel Core i7-4700MQ (8MB Cache, 2.8 Ghz / 3.8 Ghz with Turbo Boost) PaasMark = 9321
              • Windows 8 PRO 64bit
              • 14" WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display
              • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5
              • 256GB mSATA Boot + 750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
              • 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600Mhz

The Toshiba Qosmio X70-ABT3G22:

• 4th gen Intel Core i7-4900MQ (6MB Cache, 2.2 Ghz / 3.2 Ghz with Turbo Boost) PaasMark = 7936
              • Windows 8 PRO 64bit
              • 17.3" FHD TruBrite LED Backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
              • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M with NVIDIA Optimus Technology 3GB GDDR5
              • 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
              • 256GB mSATA solid state drive (SSD)
              • 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA) [2nd Hard Disk Drive]
              • 16GB DDR3L 1600Mhz SDRAM (8GB + 8GB) - Expandable to 32GB

I do use my 2TB Western Digital My World Bood Edition II as NAS for backup of my household PC, as well as primary archived storage of my media (video, photo and music). This NAS is actually mirrored (1TB each) and 4 years old, I am considering purchasing at least one 2TB WD External Hardrive for "offsite" backup - though I'm also evaluating alternative archive and "safe" backup implementations.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premier Elements 12 on i7 4500U Turbo
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The larger screen on the Toshiba would be a draw for me. I work with a 17" laptop, but really, really love to migrate my video Projects to my dual 21" monitors up stairs.

The one warning, regarding the Toshiba would be relative to the video driver updates. This is based on an older Toshiba Satellite, which was the top-of-the-line, but MANY years ago. It had an nVidia graphics chip, BUT, Toshiba had things set up, so that ONLY Toshiba drivers could be used. While nVidia issued new drivers almost monthly, Toshiba never updated any of those. About a year ago, I checked with Toshiba, and they still had the original video driver, that came with that laptop - that was almost 10 years (or ~ 120 nVidia driver updates), and they never bothered. Also, though I contacted Toshiba Customer Support, and Technical Support many times, I never got a response, and could never get through via telephone. That turned me off of Toshiba, but that was years ago. In the meantime, I learned how to re-wrap the nVidia drivers to work with my Toshiba - no thanks to Toshiba.

Things might well have changed for the better, as that was ~ 10 years ago now. Still, I have never looked at any Toshiba laptop, based on how badly I felt that I was treated back then.

Good luck,

Hunt