7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 12:34 PM by Joel Cherney

Howto fit content without resizing?

Kasper Hviid

Is it possible to make a bitmap constantly align to the upper-left of its frame - but not having the bitmap resize?

• 1. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?
          Fede Gianni Level 3

pull your frame from the lower-right corner with no modifier keys pressed

• 2. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?
            Kasper Hviid Level 1

Yeah, but I was thinking if it would be possible to have it align to the upper-right corner automatically.

• 3. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?
              Fede Gianni Level 3

clicking the top left square in the Object/Content/Frame fitting option?

i'm guessing

Screen shot 2013-11-29 at 13.39.26 .png

• 4. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I guessed that, too, and then found that no matter what proxy I selected on the reference point, my images always aligned to the top-left-hand corner.

There's a "Frame Fitting Options" in Object Styles that looks like it shoudl work - check the Auto-Fit checkbox, choose Fitting: None and Align From: your preferred edge. Then I suppose you could just place the image and apply the object style to the frame... yup! That is how to force your images to all align to a given edge of a frame.

• 5. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?

Even better, if you use the direct select tool to manually reposition the graphic in the frame, then an override is applied to the style, and when you clear overrides it re-re-positions the object back to the edge you selected.

• 6. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?
                    Kasper Hviid Level 1

Joel, I didn't grasp your last post, since I'm not familiar with 'override'. (TODO: research.)

But I found out that selecting the bitmap contents with the Direct Selection Tool, rightclicking, Fitting>Frame Fitting Options  ( [v]Auto-Fit + Fitting: None + upperleft ) did the trick.

I tried the same before, but I used the Selection tool to select the frame instead of selecting the bitmap content. This caused it to "forget" that I wanted Fitting: None.

In short: TANKS! Now stuff works!

• 7. Re: Howto fit content without resizing?

No prob, Kasper. The bit about an "override" is this: InDesign allows for creation of "styles" that make formatting of text and objects faster & easier to control than doing everything manually. So if you go to Window -> Styles -> Object Styles, you'll see a Basic Graphics Frame and a Basic Text Frame. You can create as many object styles as you want, with as many or as few features (fill? stroke? drop shadow? transparency?) as you like, and then apply them all at once with one click. Frame Fitting Options just happens to be one of the many object parameters you can control with an Object Style.

Of course, if you want to diverge from your style a bit, you can manually tweak whatever you want. If you've applied manual formatting to an object that you set up with an Object STyle, then a little plus symbol appears next to the style name when you've selected it, indicating that you've overridden the style definition with some manual formatting.

So, feel free to continue using Frame FItting Options manually. But if you are dealing with a large number of objects, and your mouse-clicking muscle is tired from the number of clicks you need to go through per object to set it up the way you want (direct select tool -> right click on object -> navigate to Frame Fitting Options -> make selections in dropdown and reference proxy -> hit OK), just be aware of this other way of styling objects (select object -> select object style) exists.

Also, when your client says "I love it! But can you make all 1,200 images hug the lower left instead of the upper left?" you can do it in five clicks, instead of 6000 clicks.