5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 8:22 PM by N9JCR

New camera questions

N9JCR Level 2

It's time for a new camera and it looks like it's not going to be a DV tape camera this time.  I'm considering the Canon VIXIA HF G30 so if anyone has any feedback on that particular camera that would be much appreciated.  On to the questions....

1) I generally produce the edited output on traditional DVDs - no need for Blu Ray, at least not yet.  Will PrE downres the video to SD?

2) Can I mix DV-AVI and AVCHD or MP4 in the same project so long as I am producing SD output?   Occasionally I need two or three cameras and I'm not ready to buy several of these.

3) Preferences on AVCHD vs MP4? 

Thanks everyone!

Bob

• 1. Re: New camera questions
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - Yes... more information in The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

2 - Not very well

3 - AVCHD

>considering the Canon VIXIA HF G30 so if anyone has any feedback

Go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements and, in the area just under ASK A QUESTION enter

HF G30

You may now read all the previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

• 2. Re: New camera questions
            N9JCR Level 2

Thanks for the response, however I was hoping for a little more information... 

1 - Short of watching all of Steve's great tutorials, I'll just accept that it will work for now and figure out how later.

2 - Not very well in what way?  Resulting picture quality is impacted? Takes hours to render?  I need to know if it's unusable or just has some limitations and what they are.

3 - OK

In regards to your direction to search the forum, I've been a member here for as long as you have and I know enough to do that before asking a question.  I did it again, however just to be sure and it came up with one post - this one.

• 3. Re: New camera questions
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>know enough to do that before asking a question

Well... why didn't you say so before I posted the search suggestion?

#2 - I use only AVCHD so did not save any links, but I have read before that mixing types in a project does not work well

• 4. Re: New camera questions
                nealeh Level 5
                1. Scaling down - just be aware that your AVCHD shooting 1920x1080 is around 2.1 megapixels whereas DVD (assuming NTSC) is 720x480 which is 0.35 megapixels. So your output resolution will only be 1/6th that of your shot footage. Flipping that equation means that the downsizing process discards 5/6ths of the image resolution. Your output DVD will be of lower quality. There are so many posts on these forums complaining of poor quality when converting HD to SD - when this is an inevitability. I think what many do is connect their camera to the TV to watch their raw footage (naturally in glorious HD) and are then disappointed when they edit it and convert it to DVD. So long as you are prepared for this in advance you should be fine.
                2. PRE can cope with mixed footage on the timeline, it's just not generally considered sensible. What most recommend is creating an HD project for your HD clips, output it to an SD DV-AVI Type 2 file and import that to an SD project containing your other SD clips. But you could also do some experimentation - put all your clips into an SD project and see what the output looks like or put all your clips into an HD project and see what an SD output from that project looks like.
                3. PRE natively edits AVCHD so go with that.

Searching 'Canon Vixia' will give you a lot more discussion results that may be helpful.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New camera questions
                  N9JCR Level 2

Hi Neale,

1.  I knew there is a pretty substantial difference (reduction) in picture quality when comparing HD and SD, I was hoping that when downsizing it would be at least no worse than if I had recorded in SD originally.   Someday my customers will want HD, just not there yet.

2. That's a good idea worth trying.  My current cameras (Canon HV40's) will also do HDV but never had much success using them that way - usually had dropped frames or other issues that seemed to be tape related and left noticable gaps in the clips.  I wouldn't expect to have that problem with the memory card transfer.

My editing PC is a Intel i7, 4 core/8 threads with 12GB RAM.

Thanks Neale!

Bob