4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 12:54 AM by NIRC

InDesign CS6 tables in Kindle HDX

NIRC Level 1

The tables I format in InDesign CS6 (PC) for Kindle show up neatly in the new HDX 8.9 reader. But there are two small problems i cannot seem to solve:

1. The tables always default to about 70% of the assigned width. Even if I make a small table and extend it beyond the text frame and all the way to the edge of the paper, it still leaves huge margins on both sides.The text, on the other hand, does just what I tell it to. This means, for instance, that a text that is inset 10 mm. on the right and left actuall comes out wider than the table, which extends at least 20 mm. beyond the text on both sides.
      2. In the case of some smaller tables,I want them always to fit on a single screen, not overflow. Adding forced page breaks all over would make for an unsightly e-book. I know how to do this in InDesign (using the "keep with next" function for rows of cells), but the Kindle generator just ignores this.
        • 1. Re: InDesign CS6 tables in Kindle HDX
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your workflow for creating Kindle files? There are several possible routes, including the Kindle plug-in; or exporting EPUB from InDesign, then using Kindlegen or Kindle Previewer.

Have you tried asking on Kindle Publishing Forum on the Kindle website?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000234621

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 tables in Kindle HDX
            NIRC Level 1

I use the Kindle plug-in, but couldn't find anything on the forums I searched. That is why I turned to the Adobe experts. There are problems with epub when it comes to embedded fonts (which I absoutely need), but which Kindle handles perfectly.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 tables in Kindle HDX
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, you seem to be experiencing the downside of using the Kindle plug-in. You have no obvious way to customize the code. You're dependent on the Kindle engineers to provide what you need.

When you go the EPUB to Kindle route, you get to customize the CSS and HTML before doing the conversion.

Sorry I don't have answer to your dilemma.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 tables in Kindle HDX
                NIRC Level 1

By chance, I solved part (1) of my problem, and it was indeed an InDesign thing. I dont know how I overlooked it, but I was using existing InDesign files designed ordinary for book publication to generate the Kindle files, when I should have made a new document and selected not PRINT but DIGITAL PUBLISHING. This puts everything in pixels for better control, In addition, when the mobi file is generated, one is given the option of adjusting margins--something not available if it is a PRINT document.