8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 1:15 PM by Laubender

Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work

pernillafornes

The outosave function i Indesign doesn´t work. I open a document, do some changes, rename the document, do more changes, save the old document, open the first document and the firs changes I made are gone.

I´ve lost hours of work this week. What is worng?

• 1. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What autosave is that? InDesign doesn't have one.

There's an excellent recovery feature but that's it. And I'm still not sure

of what you've done here so perhaps you can expand on it a bit.

• 2. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

pernillafornes wrote:

I open a document, do some changes, rename the document, do more changes, save the old document, open the first document and the firs changes I made are gone.

At what point in that workflow did you save the changes to the "old" document before you renamed it? Since the only way I know to rename a file from within ID would be to do a Save As, as soon as you did that all of the change data was lost, and the file ceased being the "old" file. Any changes you made since the last save BEFORE changing the name would only be in the "new" document.

But, as Bob said, there is no auto-save feature beyond document recovery, so perhaps you just mad a poor assumption about what was happening when you changed the name.

• 3. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work

If that's the OP's workflow then he/she can use save a copy instead of

save as which would create a new file but allow the user to continue

with the current file.

• 4. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work
                pernillafornes Level 1

What I meant wasn´t auotsave but "In-designs mini save" and the "automatic recovery". It has always worked absolutley perfect and now it doesn´t.

• 5. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work

Again, from your description, everything worked exactly the way it's

supposed to.

• 6. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've seen cases where this "Mini Save"/ "Automatic Recovery" did not work at all.

Rare cases, but:

Always when the InDesign file is opened on a different computer and you are working on a network. And someone pulls the plug from that other computer (shutting it down, ignoring the messages that another machine is hooked)!

SO: I would never rely or bet on the otherwise fabulous feature "Mini Save"/ "Automatic Recovery".

There is a startup script around in the web by Martin Fischer somewhere on the site hilfdirselbst.ch, that saves a copy of the actual file in a special folder every time you do a "save" or "cmd + s" adding a continous number to the auto saved file name.

Uwe

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work
                      pernillafornes Level 1

Laubner you naild it. I just installet another computor on my network.

Thank´s a lot for your input!

• 8. Re: Autosave in Indesign doesn´t work
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And you did open an InDesign file from a different computer over the network?
                        As you maybe  found out, this might  not be a good idea…

Every time the network will be unstable you'll run into problems.

I already had that case where I had to work on a clients network (my own laptop was not allowed), working long hours and the file server shut down automatically at 10 pm. :-(

Surprise, surprise…
                        It wrecked the last hour of my work (one hour back I saved the file with a different name).

The open file could not be revived after the shutdown happened.

Uwe