11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 7:44 AM by Willi Adelberger

Problems placing .ai in InDesign

lauralisonash

When I place Illustrator .ai images in InDesign, they turn out pixelated/rough around the edges. I have tried changing the display preferences in InDesign to high quality, and I have tried configuring Illustrator to copy as AICB. Neither of these have worked. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A screen capture would help.

There will always be the probablilty of minor image degradation when placing files in ID. You are viewing a jpeg preview, not the actual paths or pixels of the original. This will not affect the output, which uses the actual image data.

• 2. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to be clear, you chose File > Place, right? You didn't copy paths (File > Copy, File > Paste)? The AICB settings only apply when copying paths. If you did copy, and you've used over 500 anchor points, the object is converted on the fly to a PDF.

• 3. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

1. See Steve Werner's advice

2. Do you have transparency effects? If yes, how are the raster effects settings?

• 5. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@lauralisonash,

Your reply came in as a blank message. You may want to log in again to the InDesign forum on the website to reply if you're having troubles with email.

• 6. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
                  lauralisonash Level 1

Thanks for your help! I did place the objects, not copy and paste them. And I went back and made sure that my transparent objects were in a separate layer from non transparent objects. Turns out that I hadn't changed the display performance of the individual objects to high quality. I haven't used ID in a year or two, so I forgot that that was necessary. That fixed both the .eps and .ai files I placed.

• 7. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

lauralisonash wrote:

Turns out that I hadn't changed the display performance of the individual objects to high quality.

You usually don't need to, unless you applied this per object earlier. You can clear all manual settings of all imported graphics at once at the bottom of the Display Performance pop-up menu, with any graphic selected. That way they will all listen to your global settings again.

• 8. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
                      tdcarp Level 1

I'm having a similar problem (I think).  I place a vector AI object in ID and I see a pixelated image.  Do I understand from this (and other) thread that there are a few things to check:

• The display quality in ID.
                      • Remember that the on-screen display of the ID file uses raster to display the AI image.  Run a print test.
                      • Make sure there are no raster data in the AI file.
                      • Something about a setting in ID on whether to resize objects, although I don't think that's relevant here since I'm not placing the AI image in a ID frame.

I think what I'm seeing has to do with the display quality setting.  If I switch to high quality, exit and re-open the file, things are much clearer.

Can I assume that the reason for these settings is for ID file size considerations?  Does the setting have any influence on exports (e.g. to a PDF)?

Is there any reason why not to have the setting for all ID files be high quality?

Tom

• 9. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign

The display quality has no effect on output.

Every image you see on screen is rasterized otherwise it cannot be displayed.

Raster data are allowed in ai files, raster effects also as it is a part of the program's functionality. For print it is only important that the resolution (ppi) is high enough.

High resloution display in ID might reduce speed on many computers.

• 10. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign
                          tdcarp Level 1

Thanks Will

So the display quality in ID is a performance issue that will show up on my laptop only (unless I share the ID file with others)?  So, once I "trust" that it's display quality only and will no affect print, there's no reason, other than personal preferance, not to set it to typical.

The other learning I think I'm getting here is the image in ID is rasterized.  Is that just for display?  In other words, if it's rasterized before any resizing and is not just for display, don't I run the risk of image quality degredation if I resize the image?

Obviously that last question assumes I've placed an AI image with no raster data in it.

Tom

• 11. Re: Problems placing .ai in InDesign

What I meant is, that you can't see vectors, every vector is rasterized on a device so you can see it or print it. But with vectors  they are rasterized upon the device's resolution, always to the best possible quality, they are device resolution independend.If they go to print they will either be rasterized in the RIP (Raster Image Processor) or in the APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine). As the name shows, they are rasterized in that device.