5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2013 4:10 PM by Peter Spier

I need a description of the guides in INdesign

Soup King

I have my A5 document open, and have specified a 3mm bleed for printing.  I have worked out that this bleed line is the reddish one on the extreme outside of the sheet, but the next one in confuses me.

It is the one that seems to be a purple/pink colour, and forms a rectangle.

I'm wondering a couple of things, here.  Should I generally keep all my objects, rectangles, text etc within, but on, this line?  Secondly, where I need pictures to bleed to the very edge of the paper when the printer cuts, do I place them right up to the bleed line?

Thanks in adance, guys, new to ID here...

• 1. Re: I need a description of the guides in INdesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like the margin guide.

Bleed Guides.png

In the illustration above you can see teh photo extendes to the bleed guide. Anything important needs to be inside the safety zone or there is a risk it will be trimmed off if the stock is misaligned in the cutter (that's why you extend out to the bleed guide, and the safety zone is the same distnace in from the edge of the page as the bleed guide is outside it).

Margin guides usually define the area for text, but that's really up to you. Guides are guides, which means you get to use them, or not, as you choose.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I need a description of the guides in INdesign
            Soup King Level 1

Many thanks.

Yes, it's the margin guide.

So the safety zone you describe - that's arbitrary and kind of my choice, as is the margin.

I apprecaite the help, thanks.

I have seen some photos that bleed to the edge of the paper, but equally some photos that do not, and these look perfectly fine.  In fact, I'm not sure I'm a fan of photos that go right to the edge of the paper.  But I guess there's a time for both.

• 3. Re: I need a description of the guides in INdesign

No. Margins are arbitrary but the safety zone is directly related to the bleed allowance. You need to keep important things inside the page AT LEAST as far as the bleed extends outside the page.

If th cutter is mis-aligned and cuts one edge ooutside the page in the bleed allowance, and equal amount will be cut off inside the page area on the other side. The safety zone protects against losing anything important if that happens.

• 4. Re: I need a description of the guides in INdesign
                Soup King Level 1

Ah, ok, I see.

So, if I have a 3mm bleed, I need to keep important stuff at least 3mm in from the paper edge.

Again, with thanks.

• 5. Re: I need a description of the guides in INdesign

That's it. For 3mm bleed, 3mm safety zone would be the minimum. You probably want a bit more to be sure you don't crowd the edge on a bad cut.