3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 11:49 AM by Trevor.Dennis

problems with selection tools

Beth Guindon

I am having trouble in CS6 with selecting a portion of my photo, with any of the tools- quick-selection, lasso or magnetic lasso.   What happens is that once I have completed my selection, I get strange rectangles of 'marching ants' throughout my selection.  These show up as different colours on the layer mask as well.  When I first used quick selection it worked properly.

Is the tool somehow corrupted?

• 1. Re: problems with selection tools
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Hi Beth

Was it definitely the Quick select tool, and not the Magic Wand?  They live in the same place on the toolbar, and have the same shortcut after all.  If it was the magic Wand, and Contiguous was not checked in the Options bar, that could do what you describe.

• 2. Re: problems with selection tools
            Beth Guindon Level 1

Thanks Trevor.  It was both.  After considering the issue, and using the tool in Elements on my laptop, I decided somehow the tool driver file had been corrupted, and did another install, which thankfully fixed the problem.  I'm new to CS6 and was very surprised to have this kind of thing happen.  I did a separate backup of my uncorrupted CS6 program files, and plan to do another backup this morning, just to be safe.

Fortunately, it's all good.

• 3. Re: problems with selection tools
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

If this sort of thing happens again, you don't need to reinstall Photoshop.  Either reset the problematic tool in the Options bar, or reset the Photoshop preferences file, by holding down Shift Alt Ctrl immediately after starting Photoshop.  I don't know how to do that with Elements