7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 1:01 PM by Alp Er Tunga

Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

On the Epson driver, media type option has options just for Epson papers. I want to print on a paper from a different brand. Selecting a profile for this different paper from the mode menu is bypassing that media type options - for example when the "Epson Premium Semigloss" is selected from the media type menu, if I choose a Hahnemühle profile from the mode box, is this Hahnemühle profile bypassing Epson paper choice selected from the media type option?

• 1. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
          Alp Er Tunga Level 1

One additional question: when Lr controls color management, does media type option on the printer driver have any effect?

• 2. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
            jdanek Level 4

Which Epson is it?  Color management in Lr assists the driver when it applies whatever came from Lr and is then printed on one of the media chosen in the driver.  For instance, if you chose plain paper, the driver would print to plain paper which is a lot different than glossy photo paper.  The driver should have lookup tables it uses to print to certain known media which have been tested and perhaps calibrated at the facory for certain Epson papers.  You could send your paper to a third party calibration profile service or use one of Epson's closest relatives to the paper you plan to use in the print process.

• 3. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
              Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I'm sorry, I'm a newbie, let me try to write what I understood from your message: do you mean that I should choose the correct media type from the printer driver even if color management is handled by Lr?

• 4. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
                jdanek Level 4

Yes.  Whatever CM is established in Lr ( don't use it, so I am hypothesizing here ) will be fed into the driver and output according to the paper you select.  For instance, plain paper may require a little more ink because of its absorbancy characteristics, whereas a coated, glossy media will require less because of its reflectancy and coating. 

• 5. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
                  jdanek Level 4

Followup.  You could setup a test file and see for yourself how the file prints using different settings and papers ( if you have not already ).  Whatever workflow prints the most accurate, that's the one you use.  Just remmeber to keep a log and record everything you do.

• 6. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
                    SasquatchPatch Level 2

The Media Type setting and the Profile choice are two separate things. The Media Type setting sets the optimum amount of ink laydown for that type of media. When you're using Epson paper, they've tested that model printer with that paper to come up with the best starting point for making the paper profile.

When you're using a non Epson, third party paper in your printer, you will never find Media choices to match. What you will find are recommendations from the third party manufacturers on which Epson media choice settings are the closest for your paper/printer combo. If you're making your own profiles, you need to know this to choose the right setting before printing your target. If you're using, say, a canned profile from Hahnenmühle, you need to choose the same media type setting they used when making the profile in order for that profile to be valid.

So, to be clear, you need to do two things when printing to a third party paper. 1. You have to choose the correct media type according to what the third party manufacturer recommends, and 2. You have to choose the correct media profile for the paper you're printing on. One does not override the other. They work in concert to give you the best (hopefully) print possible.

• 7. Re: Printing from Epson driver on a different brand of paper
                      Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Very clear now. Thanks a lot jdanek and sasquatch.