3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2007 11:45 AM by Newsgroup_User

Resize Tables Automatically

mark999
      I am getting tired of always having to resize my window to get tables to resize. A quick example

If I make a 2 x 2 table, put a dozen returns in a cell, the table expands to reflect this big return filled cell. Now, if I select and delete all these returns, the table will stay large. To get it to resize, I can resize my window in the lower right. Or, I can use the clear column width and height buttons to get it small again.

What I really want is real time table resizing. I am certain in past versions, there was a preference that said "automatically resize tables". I cannot find this. Is there a keyboard shortcut, or automatic way to make this happen?

I am using DW 8 on a mac.

mark
        • 1. Re: Resize Tables Automatically
          Level 7
          mark999 wrote:
          > If I make a 2 x 2 table, put a dozen returns in a cell, the table expands to
          > reflect this big return filled cell. Now, if I select and delete all these
          > returns, the table will stay large. To get it to resize,

Press F5.

--
          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
          Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: Resize Tables Automatically
            Level 7
            F5 will work.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"mark999" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fik136$f2n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I am getting tired of always having to resize my window to get tables to
            > resize. A quick example
            >
            > If I make a 2 x 2 table, put a dozen returns in a cell, the table expands
            > to
            > returns, the table will stay large. To get it to resize, I can resize my
            > window
            > in the lower right. Or, I can use the clear column width and height
            > buttons to
            > get it small again.
            >
            > What I really want is real time table resizing. I am certain in past
            > versions,
            > there was a preference that said "automatically resize tables". I cannot
            > find
            > this. Is there a keyboard shortcut, or automatic way to make this happen?
            >
            > I am using DW 8 on a mac.
            >
            > mark
            >

• 3. Re: Resize Tables Automatically
              Level 7
              > If I make a 2 x 2 table, put a dozen returns in a cell, the table expands
              > to
              > returns, the table will stay large. To get it to resize, I can resize my
              > window
              > in the lower right. Or, I can use the clear column width and height
              > buttons to
              > get it small again.

To update the table cell rendering in Design View, just click in any
              adjacent table cell or table or other part of the page.

Or press F5.

> What I really want is real time table resizing. I am certain in past
              > versions,
              > there was a preference that said "automatically resize tables". I cannot
              > find
              > this. Is there a keyboard shortcut, or automatic way to make this happen?

Used to be a preference known as Faster Table Editing (Deferred Update)
              which you could UNcheck to get real-time updating.

They've now compromised by not offering real-time updating of the table cell
              (too memory intensive as I understand it) as you're editing but it'll update
              once you click anywhere on the page outside that cell (even just clicking an
              adjacent cell) or manually refresh (F5).

--
              Regards

John Waller