14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 1:10 PM by Mortie

Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11

Mortie

I am using windows 8. Have tried internal burner and external burner.  Windows media player says, disc is empty, asus media player says, unsupported format. I have used pre. e. 10 and previous versions, never had a problem burning a disc.  I saved file to folder , burned thru windows media player, but it only plays on that player. Need help, please.

CPU-3ghz  Ram-8gb 7.70 usable.  Video card intel HD graphics.  64bit OS x64based procesor.  cd-dvd- slim type dvd A DS8A9SH .  Toshiba DT01ACA100  Bus #1  6.2.9200.16384 Target 0.LUNO      Realtek hd audio

Procesors 4 -5-3330 CPU 3ghz 

Message was edited by: Mortie

• 1. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How did you create your DVD files?

What files or folders did you burn to your disc?

• 2. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
            Mortie Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Steve.   The video files in the project are MTS and MPG.  On the timeline they all say MPG. I save project and burn. It comes out as a BDMV. I made a project with all the same file types , with same results. The video was shot in 3 qualities, HDFX, HDHQ, and standard.  I have 2 burners, one is external. If I choose to burn to dvd, no burners are detected. If I choose AVCHD both burners are detected. On blue ray no burners detected. And for some reason I don't get thumbnail picture with the footage shot in HDHQ. The picture is there, when move to the timeline or into assets. How come there is such a difference from PrE 10 and 11. I have a new computer with windows 8, but still using same camera- AVCHD.  Sorry, I am not that savy with computer terms and how files work, or how a computer works. Things were much easier with pre 10.  Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11

Just the basic steps, please. Which options did you choose to create your DVD files, and how did you burn those files or folders to a disc?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                Mortie Level 1

I hope this is what you mean.  I used auto preset for the project and burned with the AVCHD button in the share window. There are 2 still pictures in the project.

• 5. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11

So you didn't select Publish & Share/Disc to create your disc?

That could be why it's not playable.

• 6. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mortie

Based on all that you have written so far

a. You are burning your Timeline content

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

(apparently no other choices are working, so I am left with the above conclusion...further support for this speculation is that fact that you say "it comes out as BDMV").

b. Assuming I am on the right track, where are you trying to play this AVCHD on DVD disc? It will not play on any DVD player. And, it will play on some Blu-ray players as well as some computer players that support AVCHD DVD, not all do. That is the way it is, not just for the version of Premiere Elements on which this work is being done.

Please include further details in your reply to SG.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                      Mortie Level 1

Yes , I go to publish and share, then disc. Then you have  dvd, blueray, and acvhd. No burners are detected in the dvd, and blueray. Only the avchd shows a burner. I have an external burner , which I used with pre 10. And the burner in the computer. Do I need a different burner, and if so , please advise.

• 8. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11

Are you able to burn the VIDEO_TS files to a Folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc?

• 9. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                          Mortie Level 1

Yes, I can burn to a folder, then tried burning disc from that folder didn't work. I was able to burn that folder to a disc with windows media player, but it only plays on that player.

• 10. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mortie,

PrE cannot burn the VIDEO_TS folder, and its contained files, to a DVD-Video. However, many use ImgBurn to do the burn of that VIDEO_TS folder to blank media. That works very well, and if one uses high-quality blank media, the resultant DVD-Video should then play fine in most set-top DVD players *, attached to a TV. Note: when you install ImgBurn, make sure that you do a Custom Install, and uncheck ALL additional apps., such as Browser Toolbars, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

* By the DVD specs., all DVD players, with the "DVD" logo, must play replicated DVD-Videos. However, none is certified to play any burned DVD discs. Most will, but not all. Also, many older DVD players are sensitive to the type of media used, i.e. +R, or -R. That sensitivity is not so common any more, but with an older DVD player, it still might matter.

• 11. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mortie

Thanks for all the follow ups.

There have been some resported instances where a Premiere Elements deactivation, uninstall, reinstall has resolved the problem of the burner not being recognized by Premiere Elements burn dialog burner location field. Do you want to give that a try for your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit? If you do....

a. In the opened program Expert workspace Help Menu/Deactivate, click on Deactivate to do just that. Close out of the program.

b. Uninstall the program via the usual Control Panel route.

c. Run the ccleaner (cleaner and registry parts)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall the program.

Then determine if all of the above has had any impact on the issue of burner recognition for the DVD and Blu-ray choices in Publish+Share/Disc/.

After that we can think about alternative burners. Do you have a friends with a USB burner that you could borrow for a mini test run for burn to DVD and/or burn to Blu-ray?

ATR

• 12. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                                Mortie Level 1

What about trying this,,,, I just got a copy of Pre. 12. What if I install 12 and transfer my stuff from 11 to 12 and try that?

• 13. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mortie

Just a few more checks before heading in the direction of Premiere Elements 12.

Recap....

a. If you try to burn your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc either NTSC Dolby DVD or NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD, you end up with the player telling you that there is nothing on the disc. Is that correct? If so, what do you see if you insert that same DVD disc into the DVD burner try and explore the disc content? Do you see OpenDVD Folder and a VIDEO_TS Folder? If you do, you have the structure of DVD-VIDEO and DVD disc that should play back on your DVD player. Where have you tried to play back this Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc...computer and TV DVD player?

If you can confirm that you do not have the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc structure, then I decide which would be easier for you uninstall/reinstall as decribed in my post numbered 11 or tryout Premiere Elements 12. You can install 12 without uninstalling 11. Just use one at a time.

I would not transfer everything from 11 to 12. Just do a mini test run for starters.

Let us see how you do with either of those approaches. I believe that you have already confirmed that you can take your Timeline to burn to folder to get the saved folder with the VIDEO_TS Folder. We can take that VIDEO_TS to DVD-VIDEO on DVD with 3rd party software, not Windows Media Player. We can work out the details for working with the VIDEO_TS Folder if you get pressed for time on this project.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Can't burn readable disc with pre. e. 11
                                    Mortie Level 1

I got a story to tell. Could be a useful story.

I decided to install Pre 12 and did so. Before I started to use it , I did a back-up catalog in Pre11. When that was finished, I tried a thumbnail update on some of my clips. Remember , I mentioned I couldn't get a thumbnail pic for clips shot in HDHQ. I tried the update numerous times, anyway this time it worked. I got pics for all those clips. So , I wondered, what if. I opened my project, went to publish share , disc, dvd. Remember , I said no burner showed up in dvd. Well the burner was there this time. I burned a disc, and it plays in a dvd player.

Is it possible that not all the software components were activated. After doing the back up catalog , maybe those components became active. And, how would you know if they are all active? This may be helpful in the future.

The video quality on the disc is a bit off. I use Staples brand dvd-r. If I step up to verbatim, would that make a difference.

I have always used that brand in previous versions of Pre, and the quality was good.

Anyway, I thank you all , very, very much for your help.  Chances are, you will hear from me again.  Thanks, again.

PS.  When I did the " back up catalog"  I was prompted to do a download for adobe. After that, I was able to get thumbnail pics in the organizer and the burner showed up in dvd burn. How do you know if all the components in the software are active?

Message was edited by: Mortie