3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 10:42 AM by Ballyshannon

Change color of Find/Replace indicator/selection box?

Ballyshannon

I'm using ID CS5.5 and would like to change the color of the Find/Replace selection box...the black box that indicates the item when found. Often times on a page of black text, it's difficult to find and would like to change that box color to yellow or another color to make it stand out. I've done some searches but can't find anything relating to this.

Thanks for any help

DC

• 1. Re: Change color of Find/Replace indicator/selection box?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Can you clarify this?

Ballyshannon wrote:

Often times on a page of black text, it's difficult to find

The selection box  inverses the color of the text and its background. So with black text, on a (presumably!) white background, the selection is black with white text. (I can see how it would be a problem with black text on a black background, but then you'd have more problems than this.)

In all InDesign's up to CS6 you cannot change this behavior. While loads of people prefer this behavior (cases where it is less readable than un-selected text being rare), at least some did not and so for ID CC, Adobe changed the background selection color to the one in your system (usually, a light shade of blue). Works perfectly, except that if your background is a light shade of blue, 'cause then it works Not At All.

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1239954 for a full discussion, and note Bob Levine's answer

There's nothing to be addressed. It is what it is given the new UI.

which, as it happens, is also valid for your version of ID.

• 2. Re: Change color of Find/Replace indicator/selection box?
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Usually I'm contented with the optical representation of selected text.

There are exceptions: Light gray colored text would be an unfortunate case for showing a text selection. With InDesign CS5.5 (or below) that text is hard to impossible to read:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-12-01 um 18.55.07.png

A little OT: The human eye is better in reading contrasts on a white background, than on a dark or black one. For that reason astronomers usually use black/white photographs of the nightly sky in their "negative" representation.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Change color of Find/Replace indicator/selection box?
              Ballyshannon Level 1

Thanks Bob.

To clarify, when I'm working on a magazine layout with many stories (black text on white background), there are often superscript registered copyright symbols that are very small in the overall scheme of things, and when I run a "find", the black selection box is so small that I can't see it at a glance. If that box were red, yellow, or a color that can be distinguished from the black text, I could more easily see it.

It would just be nice to be able to control the color of that selection box based on user preference and needs.