9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 8:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Importing Video files locking up the program

btdogboy

This is the 2nd time this has happened. The 1st time I eventually just Uninstalled & Reinstalled the program. I open the program normally and either select new project or new and the same thing happens. As soon as I search for either an existing project or try to add media in a new project, it witll take me to the files for only a moment then they disappear and the program is locked up. I cannot even close the program normally I have to use force close. I am using a brand new Mac Book Pro so I am hoping this is something within the software. Prior to this issue, I had been using the software normally.

Any advise?

• 1. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool to get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

• 2. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
            btdogboy Level 1

I am using Premeire Element 12. The video is coming from a GoPro camera and I am recording in 1080 at 30 fps.

I first copy the files from the GoPro camera to my hard drive, and once in the program I have been using Add Media/Files and Folders. It's at this point that the problem occurs.

• 3. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program

Under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements, what are the Project Settings listed?'

BTW, you have ensured your have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements, right?

• 4. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
                btdogboy Level 1

In the General Tab: Editing Mode - HD 1080i

Time Base - 29.97 frames/second

Frame Size - 1920 Horizontal x 1080 Vertical

(Need more info??)

In the Capture Tab: Capture Format - HDV

In the Video Render Tab: File Format - I-Frame Only MPEG

Compressor - MPEG I-Frame

Optimize Stills box is checked

As for the latest version of Quicktime, I purchased this computer and downloaded Quicktime then...Is there a way to see if I have the correct version?

• 5. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program

If you're on a Mac, it's probably updated manually.

I'm not sure what's going on. I can edit GoPro just fine with Premiere Elements 12.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Meantime, have you checked for corrupt fonts? Believe it or not, they can cause a lot of problems for Premiere Elements on a Mac!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/940869?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
                    btdogboy Level 1

Sadly that didn't help either.

What compounds the frustration, is the fact that I was using the program with no issues just the day before. As far as I can tell, no conditions changed that could have had any effect on the program...it just won't work!

• 7. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

btdogboy

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. SG is the one with the Elements Mac expertise.

I had a very difficult Premiere Elements 12 Windows problem which defied resolution. The key (in several meanings of that word) was discovered using the Windows Event Viewer. From what I have read of the Mac, that Windows Event Viewer "may be" comparable to the Mac Console. If so, I suggest you look there in the hope of getting some leads on the details of the malfunctioning event.

Please let us know if that Console view has any merit.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
                        btdogboy Level 1

OK, this is the craziest thing. I ran out of ideas and tried something that ....well....seems to have corrected the problem. I took a sample video with the GoPro and used Add Media/Videos from Flip or Camera. I selected the video from the camera and the options that both saved it to the hard drive and inserted it on the Timeline. Once I had the video on the timeline, I could import any file I wanted at that point. I shut the program down and opened it up to start a new project, and it's business as usual.

No idea how or why this could have unjammed things.... Does this make sense to anyone else?

• 9. Re: Importing Video files locking up the program
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

btdogboy

Congratulations on your success. Great job.

Pending any other details, I can only speculate that your maneuvers triggered a locked function to resume normal function.

Not so long ago, a user reported that she could not import media in Project Assets. We had her cascade windows and drag a file into Project Assets from the Desktop. That worked to get the file into Project Assets, and thereafter everything went back to normal.

Please let us know if this problem returns (hope not). And, keep a close watch on the circumstances for such a happening.

Continuing success.

ATR