15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 10:06 AM by A.T. Romano

Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?

granolakid

I have a mac.  I had video footage and photographs I imported, which filled the monitor leaving no borders.  I shot my footage in 1680/60i HA. When imported, there is a black border on the top, bottom and sides. I decided to make the footage viewable more inform.  I put a border all around using safe margins - Action safe for the sides and graphics safe for the top and bottom for my footage.  The video and photo from other sources take on a border evenly around in the Action Margins.  I am unable to make the dimensions the same as the footage that I shot.   This permits the video footage to have a more unified look.  Is this okay?  Will it affect the quality of the footage?  How will this affect play in other formats?  Am I wasting my time?

On some of the footage that I shot, before I resized, I zoomed in.  When I shot some of the interviews, I felt I should have been closer.  The zoom in caused the footage to be borderless.  Is there any way of zooming in to enlarge the image and at the same time retaining borders around the image, enabling the video to have a unified look?  Is there any way to enlarge the footage and delete what goes out of the borders (crop) like you would a photograph? If the footage is left without borders, and is next to footage that has borders, how is that looked upon in comparison to a unified all borders look even if the borders are different sizes?  (Don’t know how to say it?) 

Thanks so much for your help.

barb

• 1. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
          nealeh Level 5

Create a still black image the size of your video frame with a transparent centre (Photoshop Elements can do it or any of the free photo editors such as Gimp or paint.net). Place it on your top track and drag it the length of the video. It won't then matter what you do with the video on the lower tracks that border will be in place throughout the video.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
            granolakid Level 1

Thanks for your help.  Can I use photoshop?  So just to clarify:  Leave the footage zoomed in put the mask of it and drag.  Where do I go on the menu to make the mask and what ratio do you recommend to go with what I have done?

May I contact the group again, if I have any questions regarding this issue?

barb

• 3. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
              nealeh Level 5

Yes you can use Photoshop. Think of the tracks in PRE like layers in Photoshop. So by creating a black frame with a transparent centre in Photoshop and placing it above the video tracks it will always be visible. So you don't need to use masking in PRE at all, all you do is import the still image (save it from Photoshop as .psd or .png to retain the transparent centre) like any other project asset and place it on the top track.

Size it according to your output media (e.g. 720x480 for an NTSC DVD). You may see oddities if you are making a widescreen DVD as that uses non-square pixels but a bit of trial and error resizing should sort it out for you.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                nealeh Level 5

Like this:

1.jpg

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

Hi. Just saw your thread and decided to take a look at what is happening.

1680/60i HA

Was that a typing error? Should that be 1080/60i HA (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second)? Could you confirm the Frame width and Frame Height in pixels?

When you imported your media into Premiere Elements 11, how did you do that...letting the program set the project preset, and then Add Media/Files and Folders or something else? If you set the project preset manually, what did you set? If you let the program automatically set the project preset, what did it set as per Edit Menu/Project Settings/General - Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size?

Looking forward to further details.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If more than one source of source media were used, please give properties of those.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                    granolakid Level 1

Hello,

The video I shot was done in 1680/60i HA at 29.97 frames/sec.  Where do I

find the frame height and width in terms of pixels?  I probably had

Premiere Elements do the preset when I imported it in to the editing

program.

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General -

Editing Mode, is greyed out

Timebase, 29.97 frames per second (greyed out)

and Frame Size 30 frames per second drop- framer time code.

What I intend to do is put the original video image back in, have my son

match the audio and the video.  I need to figure out how to zoom into the

initial clip since the people in some of the interviews are too small and

want the size consistent throughout the interview.  At the same time, I

want to put a black border around these clips so that there is consistency

throughout the video.

If I import an image in to Photoshop to use as a template, can I get rid of

the image and save the mask?

This is the first time I am doing any of this.

As I am writing this, I opened a new Photoshop document and set up the

image using the Pixel Aspect ratio of D1/DV NTSC

Size NTSC DV

720 x 480

Resolution 72

Color Mode RGB

Contents: Transparent

In layer mask do I choose

Reveal All

Hide All

From Layer Transparency

I want a small border, how to I figure out how wide to make it?  Do I keep

my editing program open and eyeball it?  If it is too small or too large, I

suppose I can go back into photoshop and resize?

I very much appreciate your help.  If there is anything else I should know,

please don't hesitate to make suggestions.

barb

• 7. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

Two things to start to get at the resolution of your video.and figure out what project preset the program selected.

a. Even though Editing Mode is grayed out in Edit Menu/Project Setttings/General, what does it give in its grayed out state?

b. After you import the video and have it on the Timeline...if go back to the video's thumbnail in Project Assets, right click the thumbnail, and select Properties, what does Properties list for Frame Width and Frame Height?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                        granolakid Level 1

One more thing I should have added is that I am using the safe margin

format to create my borders.

barb

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Barbara Harrison <

• 9. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                          granolakid Level 1

Edit Menu/Project Setttings/General   Sony XCAM EX 720p

The camera I used was a Panasonic HCX 900M

It doesn't say width and height.  It has image size 1920 x 1080

On some video footage that I imported from other sources image size is 480

x 320.

barb

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Barbara Harrison <

• 10. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

If I am reading what you want to do, then you might be able to use the Titler (the Title editing module in PrE), to create the static black "borders."

To do that, you would create a New Title, and then use the Shapes Tool, to create four black rectangles (Fill with black and no Stroke), positioned in the areas of the Frame, where the Title Safe (or Action Safe) Guides are. Then, just place that Title over your Video Clips (on a higher Video Track), and then Zoom, Pan, whatever, on the Video Clip below. All you will see is the "window" inside those Shapes, and the black of the Shapes.

Good luck, and if I misread what you want to accomplish, just ignore the suggestion above.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

If that is what you are seeking, then this image shows what I am talking about:

Titler_Shapes.png

In my example, I changed the Fill Color to red, where you will want black. I just wanted you to see where the Shapes were placed clearly. In my case, I used the Title Safe Area Guides to size and position my Shapes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                                nealeh Level 5

granolakid wrote:

In layer mask

Why do you keep wanting to use Photoshop layer masks? Are we misunderstanding what you want to do?

You have been given two methods to easily do what I think you are asking - from me the suggestion of a simple black rectangle with a transparent centre placed on the top track, and from Bill a method using the Titler. Try these, both are very simple and should only take you five minutes maximum to try.

For my method here's a png file (using the settings you described) with a transparent centre (for the entire safe area) that you can just drag to your video track, then stretch to cover the full duration of your video. To download the png right-click it and select the relevant 'save image' command for whatever browser you use then drag it to your timeline. The exact method of creation was (a) new file using the specs you described and selecting transparent background, (b) fill with black (c) use the marquee selection tool to draw the safe area rectangle (d) press 'delete' (e) save as a png file.

Border1.png

In use:

1.jpg

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                                  granolakid Level 1

Thanks to all with your suggestions.  Frankly, I don't know what I would do

without you guys.

You are the BEST.

barb

PS  I will let you know how I make out.

• 14. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

When done, please post a link to the video on YouTube, or Vimeo, so that we can see the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Is it possible to zoom in to a video clip and retain borders in Adobe premiere elements 11?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb

If you have developed a plan for your project, and it is working well, then please disregard the following.

I am having a problem with your workflow and the suggestions that have been offered to support your quest for a border/matte into which all you media will fit completely.  Did you develop this plan for a black border because of the following which you wrote in the beginning post of this thread?

I shot my footage in 1680/60i HA. When imported, there is a black border on the top, bottom and sides. I decided to make the footage viewable more inform.

If your camera is the Panasonic HCX 900 M and you are shooting in the HA mode, you are not shooting 1680/60i (it does not exist according to the product information that I have read). You are shooting 1080/60i, that is, 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.  The video compression is AVCHD. Without further information from you, I am not sure if your audio is 2 channel (Stereo) or 5.1 channel.

If you or program set the correct Premiere Elements 11 project preset, you should not have any black borders around the 1920 x 1080 image as viewed in the Edit mode monitor.  So, let us look at what has been set for the project preset. Based on the properties of the Panasonic footage, the project preset should be (after you drag your file to the Expert workspace Timeline):

NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 (if you have 2 channel Stereo audio)

or

NTSC/AVCHD/FullHD1080i30 5.1 channel (if you have 5.1 channel audio)

And, if you now look under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, the Editing Mode should be HD 1080i. Instead you tell me that you see Sony XCAM EX720p. Why? That would tell me that you are not in NTSC/AVCHD but rather in NTSC/Flip somewhere where the frame size could be 1280 x 720 or 640 x 480.

Even if you were to continue with the concept of creating a border for your frame in Photoshop Elements, you still have to know and use the correct document size for this creation. You talk about such as Photoshop Elements project in terms of

As I am writing this, I opened a new Photoshop document and set up the

image using the Pixel Aspect ratio of D1/DV NTSC

Size NTSC DV

720 x 480

Resolution 72

Color Mode RGB

Contents: Transparent

Why? This frame is not going into a NTSC DV Standard project (720 x 480). It is going into a NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 project (1920 x 1080). I would think that you would want the Photoshop Elements document size (frame) to be consistent with the Premiere Elements project settings.

Factoring in the 480 x 320 footage presents other challenges in creating the look that you want for the completed video.

Please consider the above. Please excuse if I have misinterpreted anything you have written about your question and goals. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR