6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 7:20 PM by areohbee

DNG & Lens EXIF Data

MikeKPhoto Level 2

DXO ViewPoint 2 uses lens EXIF data for a number of corrections. It looks like RAW files (I have only tested NEF and CR2) converted to DNG looses this information. Also opening native files in ACR strips the lens EXIF data as well. 

Why would Adobe strip useful information? While it may not be used by any Adobe programs it is data that is supplied by the camera and I am of the belief that "my" data should remain intact.

The only workaround is to open the files in Cannon DPP or Nikon ViewNX and save as TIFF files. While this keeps the lens EXIF data intact it destroys the DNG/ACR workflow.

I use ViewPoint to tweak architectural and interior images taken with a wide angle lens. The correction available is not limited to Perspective and vertical/horizontal but volume distortion of objects at the edges of an image taken with an ultra-wide angle. Like a dinner plate at the edge of the image will not look round but more of an elipse. ViewPoint easily corrects this where the Adobe Lens correction cannot.

Would it be too much to ask not to have the lens EXIF data stripped by ACR and the DNG conversions?

Cheers

Mike

• 1. Re: DNG & Lens EXIF Data
          ccastleb Adobe Employee

Hello Mike,

As far as I know, DNG conversion does not strip any EXIF data.

Example:

I ran exiftool on a CR2 file and on a DNG from the same file and I was able to see both Focus Distance and Focal Length data in the DNG.

Is there additional data that DxO uses for lens corrections that you are not seeing in your converted DNGs?

Regards,

- Chris

• 2. Re: DNG & Lens EXIF Data
            areohbee Level 6

If DxO is not seeing lens info in DNGs, it's probably due to incompatibility of their DNG reader with Adobe's DNG writer. Such is quite common and a good reason not to convert to DNG if you intend to open your files in non-Adobe software. Just because some software says it can open DNGs, does not mean it will handle *your* DNGs properly. That said, try using a different DNG compatibility setting and see if that helps (the default is 1.4 but you may need 1.3, you could even try 1.1).

Do try exiftool and make sure it can see the lens info - the latest version of exiftool is DNG 1.4 compatible...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DNG & Lens EXIF Data
              MikeKPhoto Level 2

Rob:

Something is definitely screwy here; and I am getting to think this may indeed be a DXO issue. But what is confusing, opening  a CR2 file in Canon DPP and save as a TIFF, DXO ViewPoint 2 works just fine. It recogizes the lens and downloads the profile. However opening the same image in ACR, bringing into Photoshop and saving as a TIF - DXO cannot find the lens EXIF data.

Bizzare to say the least - I have opened a bug report with DXO and see what they have to say.

Thanks to all for feedback

Mike

• 4. Re: DNG & Lens EXIF Data
                ccastleb Adobe Employee

Thanks, Mike.

Let us know what you hear back from DxO.

In the meantime, if you can send me a TIFF produced from Canon DPP and one from PS, that might help resolve the mystery on the Adobe side.

Send to ccastleb@adobe.com.

Cheers,

- Chris

• 5. Re: DNG & Lens EXIF Data
                  MikeKPhoto Level 2

Will do, the files wil be sent via WeTransfer

Mike

• 6. Re: DNG & Lens EXIF Data
                    areohbee Level 6

I sure would be tempted to try:

* Converting to different DNG compatibility version.

* Use exiftool to replenish lens info (read it out, then write it back).

The first can be accomplished using the DNG converter.

The second can be accomplished using exiftool stand-alone, or Lightroom's Exportant plugin (export with option to copy all exif metadata to output file).

Rob