4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 8:50 PM by Dov Isaacs

TIF / TIFF Import Support in Indesign CS5.5 / CS6

diggeralmu Level 1

Hello,

I can't find a  reference for the limitations of the type of TIFF file that Indesign CS5.5 / CS6 can support.

e.g. Indesign cannot import TIFF file with CCITT Group 4 compression / CCITT Group 3

I thought Indesign can support all kinds of TIFF and I was proven wrong when I tried to import a TIFF with CCITT 4 compression (B/W TIFF).

"Error encountered while reading TIFF image. Image may be damaged or incompatible. Resave the image with different settings and try again."

Can anyone confirm that importing TIFFs with CCITT Group 4 and CITT Group 3 compression is not supported (and Indesign can only support importing TIFFS LZW, ZIP or no compression) (with reference)?

It seems weird that Indesign can set CCITT Group 4 as an export compression format for monochrome images in the PDF export options but doesn't support it in its import options. Am I missing a plugin/update which can do this?

Also, can anyone point me to a listing of image graphics that Indesign can import (preferably with detailed information as there may be subsets that are not supported)?

I can only find "http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6bdea.h tml".

Thanks