2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 7:37 AM by RightOar

Why are linked documents randomly out of sync with source docs?

RightOar

Regarding RoboHelp’s Link to Word feature…

I have a RH 9 HTML project on my local drive with several hundred help topics that are “linked as references” from Word documents on a network drive. All was well until recently… several of the linked help topics are showing as “out of sync” even though the source documents have not be changed or moved. The out of sync topics all seem to be randomly picked, and when I update one topic to get things back in sync, another topic appears out of sync. It is not project specific, because I created a new project and created links to the same Word documents and the out of sync issue happened again. I tried removing the cpd file and opening up the project so that a new cpd file is generated, but the problem persists.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Is it some sort of connection issue?

• 1. Re: Why are linked documents randomly out of sync with source docs?
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

I can think of several reasons this may occur. Please note that out of sync is simply an alert that there is a mismatch between the Word document and the topics created from it. For example, are you using a Master Page? If so, I could see where this would cause it to happen. Any editing of topics created will cause it to happen, because the topics no longer match the source.

Cheers... Rick

• 2. Re: Why are linked documents randomly out of sync with source docs?
            RightOar Level 1

Hi, I understand about the mismatch…the problem is there shouldn’t be any mismatches, because the source documents didn’t change at all, and no updates were made to the html help topics in RoboHelp. The mismatches appear for no reason that I am aware of. They are very random and I can “fix” the mismatches by performing an “update” for a few linked topics, but then a few more mismatches randomly appear.

I don’t use a Master Page…can you think of anything else I should look into?

Thanks for your help.