2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 10:04 AM by Kitty Werner

Are epubs made in IDCC now encrypted?

Kitty Werner

If so, can this be changed so they will be accepted by Nook, Smashwords and other ebook distributors? I'm having a heck of a time trying to upload an epub I made as the error messages say the file is encrypted. The file is validated.

• 1. Re: Are epubs made in IDCC now encrypted?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean that the EPUB is encrypted, or do you mean that the EMBEDDED FONTS in the EPUB are encrypted?

I know that no EPUB I've created from InDesign CC is encrypted because I can open it up in any EPUB reader. It may be that embedded fonts are encrypted. I've never experimented with embedding fonts because of the complications between different EPUB readers that I've not had time to sort out. Try not embedding fonts by unchecking Include Embeddable Fonts on the Advanced tab of EPUB Export Options.

• 2. Re: Are epubs made in IDCC now encrypted?
            Kitty Werner Level 1

Hi Steve,

The error message says that the epub itself is encrypted. I haven't had this issue before. I can open the file up in Sigil and other programs (including DW), so I've been mystified by this error message. However I just took your advice and unchecked Include Embedded Fonts and it worked!!

Thank You!