2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 7:11 PM by Eric T Arroyo

How much does Premiere Pro and After Effects rely on the hard drive it's installed on?

Eric T Arroyo Level 1

This may be a really dumb question, but how much does Premiere Pro and After Effects rely on the hard drive it's installed on if all your video files, assets, disk cache, etc are on different drives than the one the program itself is installed on?

The reason I am asking is that I currently have a "relatively" slow Sata II SSD for my C drive that has just my OS (windows 7 64bit) and programs (adobe editing programs, no games) installed on it and nothing else. All of the files used in my projects are saved on either a very fast Sata III SSD or a slower HDD depending on what the files are. For example, disk cache on the Sata III, stills on the HDD.

Being cyber monday I have the opportunity to buy another very fast Sata III SSD to replace my current Sata II SSD C Drive (just OS and programs). Both synthetic and real world benchmarks show a near double in performance. I just want to know if anyone thinks the upgrade is even worth it because for all I know there won't be any increase in performance since no videos, still, cach, etc will be stored on the C Drive.

The alternative is to get a second monitor because I currently only use one 21" monitor.

I suppose another alternative would be to not buy anything on the cyber monday deals and just save money for something else.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!