7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2008 9:05 AM by yoav@cyteam.com

FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2

yoav@cyteam.com Level 1
      FB3 has been crashing intermittently several times a day. Its basically a JVM hard crash, that has been reported before and had several Bug-IDs associated with it. The beginning of the err-log is:
      =======================================================
      # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
      #
      # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x7d678001, pid=820, tid=3240
      #
      # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_11-b03 mixed mode)
      # Problematic frame:
      # C 0x7d678001
      =======================================
      By looking at previous reports and other postings it appears that so far there is no solution / resolution ?
      I saw references to this way back in 2004 in different environments (but related to eclipse ); some mentioned JVM version, but I use the one automatically installed with FB3 standalone window installer. In some other blogs I have seen notes regrading possible SW conflicts with other application/processes running at the same time ?
      In my case I also have a complete J2EE development environment as well as MySQL ; Apache & Tomcat running at the same time.
      My apologies for the "verbosity", but somehow I feel this issue should be addressed and resolved.

Thanks,

Yoav
        • 1. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
          yoav@cyteam.com Level 1
          Since installing and using FB3 M4 latest version ( 1201207) Windows Xp Sp2 Stand alone continuously for 4 days.
          I have not experienced any more JVM crashes.
          • 2. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
            markdemich Level 1
            I'm using Beta 3 and it still crashes several times a day. Most of the times it crashes, it's not even my active window. It's gotten to the point where I need to save constantly so I can read my incoming e-mail.
            • 3. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
              Mark, could you please log a bug at http://bugs.adobe.com/flex and attach your error log? You can access your log via Help > Product Details > Configuration Details > View Error Log

Thanks,
              Tom
              • 4. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
                yoav@cyteam.com Level 1
                Oops, I was happy too soon!
                A JVM crash just occurred again, on startup.
                - Started FB3 and it immediately terminates with a JVM crash popup.
                - Second time it started OK.
                There are no "relevant" error in the error log from the FB3 Help>Prod Detail>Config Detail>View Error log but in the Install directory the hs_err_pid4000.log recorded the crash, which in my case is similar to previous ones: e.g. starts with ...
                #
                # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
                #
                # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x7d678001, pid=4000, tid=4004
                #
                # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_11-b03 mixed mode)
                # Problematic frame:
                # C 0x7d678001
                #

--------------- T H R E A D ---------------

Current thread (0x0082f490): JavaThread "CompilerThread0" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=4004]

siginfo: ExceptionCode=0xc0000005, reading address 0x7d678001
                >>>
                Please (Adobe development team) let us know how we can help resolving this. As this is appears to be very very serious Show Stopper. I realize this is deep and problematic bug ( potentially unrelated :directly" to your code but somewhere between the Java / Eclipse and the WXP environment it lurks). However, if the "Open Source" truism that every "bug" become shallow when you have many willing "testers" we can probably help you more than just repeatedly reporting this :)
                • 5. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
                  Yukari M Level 1
                  Hi Yoav,

Thank you for reproting the issue.

Were you using standalone version of FlexBuilder? What other applications were you running at the time of crash? Do you see any patterns on series of crashes? (e.g. Crashes when you are viewing design view or using other particular features.)

We've just solved the crash bug when your Windows login name includes high-ascii or double-byte characters. Does your user name contain any of those?

Lastly, could you look at your Flex Builder 3 installation folder once again and see if there is any crash log? It looks like hs_err_pid1234.log.

Thanks so much for your help.

-Yukari

• 6. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
                    yoav@cyteam.com Level 1
                    Hi Yukari.
                    I was happy to see that you solve the "Korean charset crash".
                    I'm using the SA Version: 3.0.190133 on WXP- prof.
                    and Yes there are the hs_err_pidXXXX.log files generated for every crash.
                    Let me know if you want me to ZIP and e-mail them to you.
                    I had the same crash first time I tried to startup this morning, FB3 started OK on the second time.
                    There are 2 other javaw.exe processes running at the same time (with the the one the FB3 uses. and they are version 6 not 5 ).
                    I was suspecting Flash cs3 or Flash cs3 video encoder, as at least today it happened while the Encoder was resident, its not yet verifiable and it might be only a coincidence. However, now it appears that Flash cs3 also started crashing occasionally about the same time I started to use FB3, as I see there are several hs_err_pidxxx.log files in its install directory, with the first one from 10\25\07 ... I'll keep an eye to see if there can be anything more substantial .

Yoav
                    • 7. Re: FlexBuilder JVM Hard Crash on WXP-Pro-sp2
                      yoav@cyteam.com Level 1
                      Recurring startup crash.
                      JVM Exit code = 1 ... happened twice in a row when I started FB3 this morning. Third time FB3 started OK.
                      One thing to notice is that I don't experience JVM crashes while FB3 is running, currently the crash is limiting itself to startup ...
                      Perusing the error logs, they all seem similar, nothing significant jumps at me (yet). I'm willing to run a version with more "debugging" information let me know if you generated one and need more "eyeballs".

Yoav