6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 5:32 AM by resdesign

Stacked symbols with actions

jethrowatson

stacked.jpg

I have created the diagram above.  The window on the right animates in when you click on one of the segements.  Each of the segments displays a different window with different content.  The cross at the top closes the window by reseting the animation.  This is all working fine.  The bit I am stuck on is the 'learn more' link which should direct users to an external page.  The elements are stacked and only the top element works.  If I move another element to the top of the stack this now works.  I've discoovered by doing this that the close button top right is only working because of the top stacked element.  How can I get all the links to work?  I have played around with making the CSS element Off at the start of the animation so it only appears when its animating but this has no effect.

To re cap:

Stacked elements

Elements within a symbol with click actions.  window.open("./new-url", "_self");

I look forward to hearing your advice.  I spent yesterday trying to solve this so thought it was a good time to ask.

• 1. Re: Stacked symbols with actions
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you tell us a little bit more about your windows on the right. you say they are stacked - are they symbols or parts on the main timeline?

• 2. Re: Stacked symbols with actions
            Andrew Crist Level 1

I have the same problem. I have several symbols all on my timeline at the same time. These symbols have buttons within them that work. But only the top symbol in the stack works. I cannot click buttons within the nested symbols  'underneath' this top layer, even if this top layer has nothing visible and all its elements hidden. One workaround I have found is to use code to delete the top symbol from the timeline when it's finished doing its thing. But is there not an easier way?

• 3. Re: Stacked symbols with actions

I am not sure this is the case but read tip #2 here; http://www.edgehero.com/tutorials/tips_1 and see if it may answer your question.

• 4. Re: Stacked symbols with actions
                jethrowatson Level 1

They are all individual symbols. 

Tip #2 adds some insight but its not quite relevant as my symbols dont have click events on them, only within them as suggested in that post.  The action to animate the symbols is elsewhere.

To summarise I have a collection of symbols which animate into the stage.  When they are visible they have 2 actions a close and a learn more.  The only time these actions work is on the highest symbol in the order.  I dont understand why this covers up smbols which are below.  Especially as they are not visible.

Thanks for your time

• 5. Re: Stacked symbols with actions
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Jethro

One thing to look for in your project file is a text element, another symbol or a transparent image element that overlaps (covers) those symbols.

I know it sounds obvious, but its an easy thing to overlook.

Example - see capture below.

My info symbol Learn More and [x] have click actions but will not work, because a neighbor element is hogging up space.

In other words element 'text' is only a single word, but the bounds (the blue border) is much larger and 'invisibly' covers the info symbol.

toolarge.jpg

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Stacked symbols with actions

Also anything that has boundaries (like a transparent div) covering your symbols. Maybe you could post a link to your files