7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2007 5:51 PM by Newsgroup_User

Readers Suggestion

bobthree Level 1
      Using Director 8, I made an interactive autorun cd report for one of my clients. He is also using it for presentations projecting it up onto a screen. He asked me to publish it to the web, well, after running all of my bitmaps through Photoshops optimizer, and converting the report to a shockwave movie, I was able to reduce the size from 55 Meg to 4 Meg. When I tested it on the web it started streaming and before I was done with the introduction it was all on my computer. My client tried accessing the report, he had problems downloading shockwave. He contacted me and told me that the report as was would not work, he did not want his constituents to have to download shockwave. Well back to the board, I converted it all to PDF at the size of 10 Meg and he thought it was great. Is there any way that I can past a suggestion on to Adobe? I would like to suggest that all three of the readers be bundled together, that way when someones IT guy loads Acrobat Reader, he is also loading shockwave and flash along with it. This would help out alot. I would also like to thank everyone that contributes to this site. I have learned alot here.
        • 1. Re: Readers Suggestion
          Level 7
          Very good idea.
          Perhaps not including all players to the adobe reader package, but including
          an option (checked by default) to also download and install the rest of the
          players, if not already installed.

"bobthree" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fkc3mq$1mp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Using Director 8, I made an interactive autorun cd report for one of my
          > clients. He is also using it for presentations projecting it up onto a
          > screen.
          > He asked me to publish it to the web, well, after running all of my
          > bitmaps
          > through Photoshops optimizer, and converting the report to a shockwave
          > movie, I
          > was able to reduce the size from 55 Meg to 4 Meg. When I tested it on the
          > web
          > it started streaming and before I was done with the introduction it was
          > all on
          > my computer. My client tried accessing the report, he had problems
          > downloading
          > shockwave. He contacted me and told me that the report as was would not
          > work,
          > he did not want his constituents to have to download shockwave. Well back
          > to
          > the board, I converted it all to PDF at the size of 10 Meg and he thought
          > it
          > was great. Is there any way that I can past a suggestion on to Adobe? I
          > would
          > like to suggest that all three of the readers be bundled together, that
          > way
          > when someones IT guy loads Acrobat Reader, he is also loading shockwave
          > and
          > flash along with it. This would help out alot. I would also like to
          > thank
          > everyone that contributes to this site. I have learned alot here.
          >

• 2. Re: Readers Suggestion
            Level 7

news:fkc3mq$1mp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Using Director 8, I made an interactive autorun cd report for one of
            > my
            > clients. He is also using it for presentations projecting it up
            > onto a screen.
            > He asked me to publish it to the web, well, after running all of my
            > bitmaps
            > through Photoshops optimizer, and converting the report to a
            > shockwave movie, I
            > was able to reduce the size from 55 Meg to 4 Meg. When I tested it
            > on the web
            > it started streaming and before I was done with the introduction it
            > was all on
            > my computer. My client tried accessing the report, he had problems
            > downloading
            > shockwave. He contacted me and told me that the report as was would
            > not work,
            > he did not want his constituents to have to download shockwave.
            > Well back to
            > the board, I converted it all to PDF at the size of 10 Meg and he
            > thought it
            > was great. Is there any way that I can past a suggestion on to
            > Adobe? I would
            > like to suggest that all three of the readers be bundled together,
            > that way
            > when someones IT guy loads Acrobat Reader, he is also loading
            > shockwave and
            > flash along with it. This would help out alot. I would also like
            > to thank
            > everyone that contributes to this site. I have learned alot here.
            >

Sometimes it helps when you make an installer available on your own
            site.
            I am not sure if this is "legal" but I take the risk.
            It saves them a trip to the adobe site, and looks a bit less
            "obscure".

If I can add "just one more" wish... how about that Linux shockwave
            player?
            *sigh*

Richard.

• 3. Re: Readers Suggestion
              Level 7
              A linux player would be awesome. With more user friendly distributions
              like Ubuntu coming out, this would be a great way to keep Director
              relevant. I have often wondered how much effort it would take to make a
              linux player.
              • 4. Re: Readers Suggestion
                bobthree Level 1
                Any ideas how to get the ball rolling?
                • 5. Re: Readers Suggestion
                  Level 7

"Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
                  news:fkcgnm$eq7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >A linux player would be awesome. With more user friendly
                  >distributions like Ubuntu coming out, this would be a great way to
                  >keep Director relevant. I have often wondered how much effort it
                  >would take to make a linux player.

I dont think it is a lot of effort, its more of a strategic decision I
                  guess.
                  The online petition for the Linux player (3 years ago?) didnt make it
                  happen...

But I hope that the new Director version for OSX makes it easier for
                  Adobe to create a Linux player.
                  Linux and OSX are not too different in architecture.

BTW:
                  I had a dream last night...
                  I dreamed that Adobe donated the Director sources to the open source
                  community because they said Director was obsolete and Flash was better
                  anyway.
                  I was smiling when I woke up.
                  :D

*joking*

Richard.

• 6. Re: Readers Suggestion
                    Level 7
                    > I had a dream last night...
                    > I dreamed that Adobe donated the Director sources to the open source
                    > community because they said Director was obsolete and Flash was better
                    > anyway.
                    > I was smiling when I woke up.

Hmm... I know I wouldn't be smiling. Messing with director's internals would
                    require a team of skilled coders, that would devote themselves almost
                    entirely to the job, for quite a long time. Even if such a thing ever
                    happened, I seriously doubt it would be for the best backwards
                    compatibility, support, stability etc. Not to mention that if such a team
                    did exist, and they had director's source code, they'd be tempted to
                    redesign several stuff. And knowing director's internals, this would take
                    years. Still waiting for dir 11, are we not?

"LOOPING_Richard" <root@localhost.not> wrote in message
                    news:fkf231$d5s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    > "Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
                    > news:fkcgnm$eq7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>A linux player would be awesome. With more user friendly distributions
                    >>like Ubuntu coming out, this would be a great way to keep Director
                    >>relevant. I have often wondered how much effort it would take to make a
                    >>linux player.
                    >
                    > I dont think it is a lot of effort, its more of a strategic decision I
                    > guess.
                    > The online petition for the Linux player (3 years ago?) didnt make it
                    > happen...
                    >
                    > But I hope that the new Director version for OSX makes it easier for Adobe
                    > to create a Linux player.
                    > Linux and OSX are not too different in architecture.
                    >
                    > BTW:
                    > I had a dream last night...
                    > I dreamed that Adobe donated the Director sources to the open source
                    > community because they said Director was obsolete and Flash was better
                    > anyway.
                    > I was smiling when I woke up.
                    > :D
                    >
                    > *joking*
                    >
                    > Richard.
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Readers Suggestion
                      Level 7
                      Ha.. That's always an issue. Since this forum is not necessarily monitored,
                      i'll try to pass the word.

news:fkea1n$h5o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Any ideas how to get the ball rolling?