1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 18, 2007 2:40 PM by CatBandit

Limit to slides

apredna
      I have been using captivate for a while, but mostly with around 30-40 slides max. A coworker was having problems opening and editing a 75 slide file. Could this be thier file size? Is there a reccomended number of slides not to exceed in order to maintain usability and not putting your file at risk for curruption?
        • 1. Re: Limit to slides
          CatBandit Level 3
          Hi there,

The size at which things become problematic depends on more than just the number of slides. For instance, a movie with 200 slides measuring 400x300 pixels might be a smaller file than one with 50 slides measuring 1024x768. Also of importance is the number and type of "objects" on the slides ... things like animations, animated text, highlight boxes, captions, and so on.

Here on the forums, and in our classrooms too, we have preached to keep the project smaller. Too much emphasis has been placed on that, I fear, and I am more guilty than most, because I began the "sermon" years ago. But in the intervening years - and versions - the product has become more stable, and the PCs on which we develop have become more "beefed up", to the point that the old adage to keep slides to 30 or 40 is perhaps misleading today (compared to 5 years ago with the earliest versions of RoboDemo, the predecessor to Captivate).

Bottom line: Today, keep physical (digital) measurement to 800x600 pixels or less, and total slide count to less than 80 to 100. The program is stable enough to handle it, and today's PC (with higher RAM amounts standard) should have few problems within those parameters.

Nowadays, a better reason to keep file size (specifically slides) down, is because it is easier to find, navigate to, and fix, problems in a smaller file. It is also easier to re-record a short project than a longer one.

If your co-worker is having trouble with a 75 slide movie, it is possible the PC (s)he is working on is an older one, or one that is not fully equipped to work on multi-media applications with those application-types' heavier demands on video and audio cards, hard drive storage space, and RAM.

All files are "at risk for corruption", as you said. I doubt there will ever be a day when the old saying to "Backup, backup, and backup" is no longer applicable to mission-critical work. Hope this helps!!