7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 5:48 PM by gator soup

Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.

margems

Photos I had previously edited in Photoshop now appear flat in Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, Preview, and in the Finder. These same files look good on websites, and also when I drag them into an email.

The Color Settings in Photoshop match the files' color profiles (Adobe RGB).

I had recalibrated the monitor using native gamma and native white point, but the colors don't return to their richness when I go back to the default calibration. Plus, the images still look good on websites and in emails, so I don't know if the screen calibration is the problem.

I feel that I must have made some setting change, but I can't figure out what I need to change back.

I use MAC OS 10.7.5, Creative Suite CS6.

HELP!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not entirely clear what you did here. What do you mean by "going back to default calibration"?

Calibration consists of two independent processes - calibration and profiling. Calibration is a modification of the monitor itself, to put it in a somewhat more "ideal" state than it was. Calibration does not have very high precision, and is not part of the color management chain.

Color management enters with the second part, the monitor profile. The profile is built after the calibration is finished. It is a complete description of the monitor in its calibrated state. The standard color management chain kicks in at this point: Document profile (source) is converted to the monitor profile (destination).

IOW, display color management relies on the calibration being already in place. So if you change the calibration, you also need to make a new profile to describe the new state of the display. If you just change the calibration, but use the same profile, color managed applications will send the wrong numbers to the display and all bets are off.

• 3. Re: Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.
            margems Level 1

Twenty_one,

After I made the new calibration, I selected that calibration in the "Display Profile" box. Is this what you are suggesting I missed?

What I meant by "going back to default calibration" was that I chose the default profile in the "Display Profile" box. So, using neither the new nor default display profile makes the color right.

Still stuck.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.
              gator soup Level 4

if Photoshop is displaying bad color, you have one of the following:

1. a bad monitor profile
              2. a source profile problem
              3. your source color isn't what you think it is

or something else is going on

do you have a wide-gamut monitor by chance

why not click on the camera icon and upload a small version of one of the problem files so we can open it...

• 5. Re: Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.
                margems Level 1

Gator soup,

ALL images in Photoshop and Bridge, etc. look flat, so uploading a file wouldn't help. I don't believe the files are the problem.

I am on a 27" iMac.

Thanks,

Margie

• 6. Re: Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.
                  gator soup Level 4

then that leaves a bad monitor profile or a source profile issue (or maybe a desaturate monitor colors by % setting in Photoshop Color settings)

if your images are in fact Adobe RGB (aRGB)

then they should appear moderately desaturated (compared to Photoshop) in unmanaged apps on an iMac monitor

try testing in a New User account (to rule out user preferences/corruption)...

rule out any custom monitor profiles you may be using...

• 7. Re: Once rich images in Photoshop now appear flat.
                    gator soup Level 4

here's another quick test:

open a tagged problem file in Photoshop

drag the same file into Safari and compare side by side

they should match dead on

if they don't match in the suspect user, trash the Photoshop prefs

if they don't match in the new user (after ruling out the monitor profile), you might try reinstalling the OS on top of your install or erase, start from scratch