9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 8:05 PM by A.T. Romano

I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?

hank@pond

I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?

• 1. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

hank

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I am not understanding your question. Yes, you can import video, stills, and audio into a Premiere Elements project.

What do you mean by "...download audio files"? From where do you want to download these audio files? Or, are you asking, "Can I import audio files into my Premiere Elements project?"

There may be issues if your own music turns out to be from iTunes. That source has a long history of issues which might require conversion to .wav before use in a project. But, one step at a time. Let us clarify the details of your question and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
            stanfr007

i dont understand either. I use my own music in all my projects. I convert a WAV to an mp3 (usually 320 kbps) and simply load the file. If you mean download from the web, that depends on what platform ou are downloading from.

• 3. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanfr007,

Will your WAV files not Import into your Project? If they are PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, those should work fine, upon Import. If they are, say 44.1KHz, they should work well too.

What issues are you encountering, when Importing your WAV files, and what are the specs. of those WAV files?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 4. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Stanfr007 is not the one with the problem. Stanfr007 and I are trying to help hank define the issue so that we can help hank.

ATR

• 5. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
                  hank@pond Level 1

Well a lot of question I need to address.  

Computer: ASUS notebook (laptop) i7 with 8g and 2g for graphics.

Elements 12

I just got this system about two weeks ago.

XBox is whats on the computer. 

It looks to me that the only audio availble is what came with Elements 12. 

I not that much of a computer person so it will take sometime to get. So bare with me while I learn.

I'm not download from the web.  The music I want is already on my computer. Just not in Premiere Elements 12.

Thank You so far

I will returning to this forum after work tonight 5pm EST

• 6. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hank@pond,

If you Import your WAV file(s) into a PrE Project with Add Media>Files/Folder, what happens?

Hunt

• 7. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

hank

I also have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit so we should be able to cross check any issues that present.

If you have audio files saved to your computer hard drive (whether those that came with the program or your own), then you can import them into a Premiere Elements 12 project using the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Expert workspace Timeline (typically the Soundtrack). (There is a Quick workspace with Filmstrip and a bar for Soundtrack. I prefer the Expert workspace since I believe it lets you see better what is going on and thus gives you more control over the project.)

If you have .mp3 files, I find that they work fine. If problems, then consider converting them to .wav format and then importing them into the project. See what works for you. There will be those who prefer .wav format which they hear as superior. Go with what works for you. Maybe compare the play back of the .mp3 vs the .wav version and determine if you can hear a difference at playback.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
                        hank@pond Level 1

So if I got this right, that audio file that I just imported from my computer would need to be done each time.  Is there a place to store it in Premiere Elements?

Thank you again.  When I have a final edit I'll post the link for your comments.

Hank

• 9. Re: I would like to use my own music with my videos.  Is it possible to download audio files?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

hank

Thanks for the follow up.

For the same Premiere Elements project, you import that audio file just once. A typically route is Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets (consider that a storage area for the project media). Then, from Project Assets, you drag your file to the Timeline. When you save close that project, the imported files (really copies of the originals on the hard drive) remain in the saved closed project and will be found there when you re-opened the project.

Major thought...once you save close a project, do not move or delete the source media (orginals) from the location from which they were imported into the project. Nasty media disconnect issues develop if you do.

If you want to use the audio file in multiple places in the Timeline, you can drag it more than once from Project Assets. The file thumbnails remain in Project Assets after you drag its representation to the Timeline.

And, if you are dragging file(s) from Project Assets to the Timeline track where there are other media already there, then best hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the file into its Timeline spot...that drill avoids disrupting the already there Timeline setup.

If you venture into the Quick workspace, instead of the Expert workspace, you will not find Project Assets. The import in Quick goes directly to a scene space in the Filmstrip. Project Assets is an Expert workspace only feature.

Please review and do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR