5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2013 3:33 PM by BobLevine RSS

Windows 81 SNAFU

jenifa

Since installing Windows update 8.1 I am unable to make PDFs or booklet PDFs from InDesign CS6. Is  there a fix or trick I can do?

• 1. Re: Windows 81 SNAFU
          Doc Maik Community Member

1. Search for information if Indesign CS6 is compatible to Windows 8.1.

2. If not compatible, check if there are patches available to make it compatible to Windows 8.1

3. If you have the Adobe Printer installed, check if it is able to print PDFs from within Word or similar.

4. If all does not help, install Indesign as administrator ("Run as administrator...") again and mind that there are no errors coming up.
          5. Last resort: install Windows 7 again (IMHO, Windows 8 sucks anyway)
          • 2. Re: Windows 81 SNAFU
            Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

What exactly is the issue with the PDF - do you get any warnings?

Is CS6 fully patched (check under Help>Updates)

Quite a few people around here use Windows 8 and have no issues - perhaps they can help if they have had similar experiences.

As for making the PDF - how are you doing this? If you are using File>Print then I suggest you stop making PDFs that way.

You should use File>Export and choose PDF.

Using InDesign for File>Print Booklet and choosing PDF is equally as bad - there's no reason to do this.

Acrobat has  Print Booklet feature.

Using File>Export PDF

And using Acrobat to Print Booklet is a better way forward.

• 3. Re: Windows 81 SNAFU
              BobLevine CommunityMVP

No problems here with Win 8 or Win 8.1 but I don't recall the last time I

used print booklet and since I don't advise using it anyway (there are too

many better alternatives) that I wouldn't know if it worked or not.

BTW, My Windows 8 install was clean but I did the upgrade to 8.1. Great

operating system if you take the time ( a few hours or so should do it) to

learn it.

• 4. Re: Windows 81 SNAFU
                jenifa Community Member

In the end Bob you were right. It is working now - beautifully. What I did was adjust the features listed and click a few more in the printing department - strange sets of initials set beneath a 'printing' type heading.

Anyway after wasting so much time trying to make it work I am pleased and I won't be visiting it again I hope!

• 5. Re: Windows 81 SNAFU
                  BobLevine CommunityMVP

It wasn't a waste of time if you got it working.