3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 2:06 AM by Peter Spier

Place Text with Photos

Mariquita88

I am attempting to import a .docx file into inDesign, and the pictures are coming out of the text and "floating" on top of the document. I am not able to set them back in the text, and I am not able to import the .pdf version of the document because the cloud-based version of inDesign I subscribed for will not allow me to import .pdf files. This is the sixth time I have re-imported the document, and it is getting very frustrating. I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Place Text with Photos
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Mariquita88 – can you provide some screenshots?

Showing hidden characters, object edges and threaded text frames (select one of these images).

HowToInsertScreenShot.png

Are the images freely anchored to the texts? I think, they should be "inline" after placing the .docx file.
          Could you try opening the word file in MS Word app and save it in the older .doc format and try again?

The thing about not allowing to import PDFs is a strange one. InDesign CC, and I take it from your words, that you are using InDesign CC (is it patched to the latest version v9.1.0?) should be able to place PDFs. Unless the PDF is secured and restricted with a password.

On what OS is your InDesign running?

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

• 2. Re: Place Text with Photos
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no version of CC that doesn't allow import of PDFs.

The only reason the PDF will not import is if it's a compatible PDF that adheres to PDF structure supported by InDesign - in essence, some 3rd party PDFs created outside of Adobe don't allows conform to the correct PDF standard.

As for importing images from Word files - that's a very poor workflow.

With Docx files I change the filename to .zip and extract the contents.

You'll find a media folder that has all the images.

I copy those and put the images in a folder.

I then change the zip file back to docx

Open the Docx file and print it.

I then delete all the images.

Import the text to InDesign.

Style the text

Add in the images in the correct place.

See InDesign Anchored Objects

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c43a.h tml

• 3. Re: Place Text with Photos
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Another, fairly common, reason that PDF import will fail is if the crop options are set to something undefined in the PDF. Open the Import Options as you try to place the PDF and make sure your crop option isn't grayed out.

But I wonder why you want to import a PDF of a Word file? It won't be editable.