16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 9:59 PM by Migintosh

Paragraph styles

Ralea55

Can anyone help me to achieve this look, without having to tab every line? (if the formatting works on this forum, that is! )

I need a number, then an indent and have mulitiple lines indented. I just need to know how to set up the paragraph styles so there is a space between the number and the text and have subsequent lines of text lining up with the text and not the number. The only way I seem to be able to achieve it is to tab every line which I'm sure is not the way to do it!

And then there is a second level of numbers too, that need another indent.

Sorry if this is a very basic question. Thanks!

6.1      LGA will maintain a Board to administer the Workers’                     Scheme in the pursuit of the objectives

for and on behalf of LGA and the Members of the Workers’ Scheme.

6.2      Membership of the Board will be for a term of three                     years which can be

renewed from time to time.

6.3      The Board will comprise:

6.3.1     Six members nominated by the LGA one of whom will                     be appointed by the Board to be the Presiding Member                     of the Board;

6.3.2     Two members nominated by the Government of the                     State of South Australia; and

• 2. Re: Paragraph styles
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think this question is more about how do you do a hanging indent thatn how to set up a numbered list, but I'm not really awake.

If I'm correct, in you paragraph style add a left indent to push all lines to the right, then add a negative first line intent to pull that one back out (and you need to do it in that order), and set the tab after the number to the same value as the left indent.

• 3. Re: Paragraph styles
            Danny Whitehead. Level 4

If the numbers are already typed, followed by a tab, followed by running text without hard line breaks, in the Paragraph palette, set the Left Indent to the the desired value, then set the First Line Left Indent to minus that value. It's probably best done as a Paragraph Style for easy application. You can the make another Paragraph Style, based on the first, for the deeper indents.

• 4. Re: Paragraph styles
              Migintosh Level 4

Here's how your example looks to me, just in case it looks different to you.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 3.41.36 AM.png

So I'm guessing that you have a tab after 6.1, one between Workers' and Scheme, a paragraph return after objectives and a tab before for in the second line. Is that correct? If so, you are essentially doing this the way you might on a typewriter, but InDesign will let you work much more efficiently.

First is the concept of the hanging indent. You set up a left margin of (for example) a half inch, and when the text wraps to a second line, it goes to the half inch mark instead of to the left edge of the text frame. Now, in order to get the 6.1 to hang to the left of the left margin, you set the left margin to a negative number. If you want it to be flush left with the edge of the text frame, just use the same value (in negative) for the first line indent that you used for the left indent. In this case, negative one half inch for the first line indent to match the positive one half inch for the left indent.

You still use a tab between 6.1 and Workers, and as far as the space between Workers' and Scheme, you will probably use a tab there too, but I'm wondering if you really want that gap, or if it's just the way the forum is displaying it.

And once you know how to make a hanging indent, you will find that the bullets and numbers feature in InDesign will make the numbers for you, and uses the same spacing method to place the text where you want it. In fact, inserted paragraphs will automatically renumber when inserted between (let's say) 6.1 and 6.2, moving what is now 6.2 to 6.3 or 6.4, depending on how many new paragraphs you insert. The bullets and numbers can be accessed from the paragraphs pannel. Have a look at it and come back if you have questions.

• 5. Re: Paragraph styles
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hangning Indents can be applied when you apply the numbered list.

• 6. Re: Paragraph styles
                  Ralea55 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. It isn't displaying how i wanted... i thought that would happen. I have set up the indents in the paragraph styles with a  left indent of 4mm and a first line indent of -4mm but i need a space between the number and the text and i need the text to line up. When I put a tab between the number and the first line of text, the second line of text wraps over to line up with the number and not the text.

I can't set up a numbered list as it's already numbered and i'm jut formatting it.

You have probably explained this in your reply so I will read it again. Sorry, I feel very dense sometimes!!! I have a very tight deadline on this and it's not working !! Ahhh!

• 7. Re: Paragraph styles
                    Ralea55 Level 1

I can't apply a numbered list as it's numbered already and it's very important to keep their numbers accurate. so i just need to format the list they gave me but the second line keeps lining up with the number and not the text!

• 8. Re: Paragraph styles
                      Ralea55 Level 1

And no, I didnt want the gap between workers and scheme.... it's all meant to line up. I didnt think it would dislpay correctly on a forum.

• 9. Re: Paragraph styles
                        Migintosh Level 4

My guess is that you have a paragraph return between the end of the first line and the beginning of the second. Because this creates the second line as it's own paragraph, it will obey the style and begin at the first line indent mark, which is the left edge of the text frame. Instead, you should have a normal space between Objectives and for, and then the text will wrap within one paragraph. If you must have a specific line break, hold the shift key while you hit the return key. That will break the text, but still keep it within the same paragraph.

• 10. Re: Paragraph styles
                          Ralea55 Level 1

There's no paragraph returns in there. it's a running sentence but the second line of text wont  line up with the first!

• 11. Re: Paragraph styles
                            Salah Fadlabi Level 5

so i just need to format the list they gave me but the second line keeps lining up with the number and not the text!

Ralea55

Try the setting on Bullets an Numbers Postions: Left Indent & Right Line Indent

numbers2.jpg

numbers.jpg

• 12. Re: Paragraph styles
                              Migintosh Level 4

Here's what mine looks like:

SS.jpg

Can you turn on the hidden characters in the Type menu and post a screenshot of your page? You should see tabs displaying as >> and paragraph returns with ¶.

• 13. Re: Paragraph styles
                                Ralea55 Level 1

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 3.45.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-05 at 3.42.58 PM.pngHi Migintosh,

this is what mine looks like

• 14. Re: Paragraph styles
                                  Migintosh Level 4

OK, we can disregard the second screenshot, since you have elected to not use the Bullets & Numbers feature, so you won't need to set anything in that window.

In the first screenshot, I see that you have a tab after the numbers for 7.2, 7.3 & 7.3.1, but all the rest have a space separating the number from the rest of the paragraph. You will need to replace those spaces for this to work. The reason that I suspect it's not working for the paragraphs that have tabs is because your indents are too small. If, for example, the number is wider than 4mm, the number itself will fall past the left margin, and it won't be possible for the left margin to be at 4mm for the first line. You can see that all of the lines in the three paragraphs that use the tab line up with the 4mm mark except the first. Your options are to either change the margins to something larger than 4mm, or to make the type more narrow. This can be done with either a different font or with horizontal scaling, but I'd recommend changing the margins. If you think ahead to what would be the number with the largest number of characters and set the margin to accomodate that length, the shorter ones will be able to fit without any problem.

Give that a try and see if it solves your problem.

• 15. Re: Paragraph styles
                                    Ralea55 Level 1

That fixed it!! THANK YOU!!!!!

• 16. Re: Paragraph styles
                                      Migintosh Level 4

I'm glad you got it sorted.