6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 9:09 AM by shelb0917

Index / Bookmarks / Script

shelb0917

Hello! I am creating a catalog in indesign and I have created my index for the entire thing. I was wondering if it would be possible to create bookmarks

based on the index.

because everything in the index is in alphabetical order and is linked to the correct page that it goes to.

I know that there is a way to create bookmakrs from a table of contents but that doesnt work for what I am trying to do.

if anyone knows of a script of anything that could help get bookmarks for my index..... please let me know. I would really appreciate it.!!!!!

Doing bookmarks manually for a 2,000 page catalog take ALONG time and I am really hoping there is another way.

Thank you very much!

-Shelby

• 1. Re: Index / Bookmarks / Script
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Shelby,

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but if what you need is to covert all the page numbers in your index to live links, check out my LiveIndex script here:

http://www.freelancebookdesign.com/scripts/live-index

Ariel

• 2. Re: Index / Bookmarks / Script
            shelb0917 Level 1

Thank you for your response Ariel. I actually have the links working when it pdfs, that you can click on the page number and it will take you there..... What I am trying to figure out is if there is a way to make bookmarks based directly off the index. so when I pdf .my catalog ...the bookmarks will match the index in acrobat. I know you can create bookmarks in indesign based on a table of contents. But with my catalog a table of contents doesnt work for me. :-( thats why I wondering if there is some sort of script I can use to get bookmarks made from my index.

• 3. Re: Index / Bookmarks / Script
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see. So you want a single bookmark per index entry? What if the index entry contains several page numbers? You would want multiple bookmarks per entry?

• 4. Re: Index / Bookmarks / Script
                shelb0917 Level 1

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.14.01 AM.png

^ picture of what my index looks like after I created it in indesign and have it in my file.

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 9.14.08 AM.png

^ what I want my bookmarks to look like when you open the PDF in acrobat.

- exact replica of my index. So that when you press on the bookmark it will take you to the page its on. just like if you were to press

the page number in the index it would take you to that page.

I am just looking for a script or something that will allow to make bookmarks from the index I created in indesign.

• 5. Re: Index / Bookmarks / Script
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Creating these bookmarks is not the problem, but where should they link to?

The very first one links to nothing. That is not an option, with bookmarks, and this can't be fixed or worked around.

All others link to a range, and you can only point to one destination. You could make it link to the first page, but if you also have

Batteries 20-30, 32-40

then it would also link to one page only.

... Are you sure this is a good idea? I have never seen bookmarks being used this way before.

• 6. Re: Index / Bookmarks / Script
                    shelb0917 Level 1

I was just showing an example of how I wanted the bookmarks to mock the index.

I tried to create bookmarks using the Table of Contents feature but because we have a product name listed more than one time in the catalog in some cases it will show up MULTIPLE Times in the bookmarks and we only need it show up once.

Which is why I wanted a way to make bookmarks based off of the index because it is set up in alphabetical order and is linked to the correct page that the product is on. and is easy for our customers to navigate through being in alphabetical order.

I understand what you are saying about battery and it could only be linked to one page. but the trouble I am having

is actually creating the bookmarks in indesign .

I don't want to have to manually bookmark over 2,000 pages of products. Thats why I have been asking if there is some sort of script or something to base bookmarks off the index. Like you can create bookmarks off of a table of contents.

I started to do bookmarks manually in indesign and ..it takes ALONG time. and also they are not in alphabetical order. because they appear in the same order you put them in. there is no feature that allows you to organize them into ABC order either. only a sort feature that just puts the sub bookmarks in order. You would have to manually alphabatize the top bookmarks....... which is even more time.