15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 1:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Supported formats

midas222

Does Adobe Premier Elements support MPEG-2 files?

If yes, does it convert the files or can I edit the MPEG-2 files?

• 1. Re: Supported formats
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements certainly does edit MPEG2 files.

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what resolution is it?

• 2. Re: Supported formats
            midas222 Level 1

Thank you for your quick reply.

These are are files from Decoded DVD's,

About 2000 of them!

I just need to do very basic trimming and fading to black. But with so many video files time is essential. Once edited does Adobe Premiere Elements save the file in the background?

• 3. Re: Supported formats
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know what you mean by "save the file in the background".

But you can output your editing video as new video files, if that's what you mean.

• 4. Re: Supported formats
                A.T. Romano Level 7

midassedona

What is the file extension of these "MPEG2" files? VOB or other?

Do you now have these files on DVD disc in the DVD-VIDEO format or other?

What do you have at the present time....2000 MPEG2.VOB files saved to folder(s) on the computer hard drive or other?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Supported formats
                  midas222 Level 1

The file extension is .vob

Some DVDs are decrypted and saved on a computer as .vob files, others have not yet been decrypted and are on DVDs as DVD-Videos.

• 6. Re: Supported formats
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

midas222,

When you state:

Some DVDs are decrypted and saved on a computer as .vob files, others have not yet been decrypted and are on DVDs as DVD-Videos.

What exactly do you mean by "decrypted?" Are you removing DRM (Digital Rights Management), or Copy Protection, on a commercial DVD-Video, or something completely different?

The VOB (Video Object) format is but a wrapper, and basically contains the MPEG-2 DVD file inside that Object. PrE can usually extract the MPEG-2 DVD file from a 100% compatible VOB file, but I a curious if you have something else.

Thanks for that info, and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Supported formats
                      midas222 Level 1

Thank you.

I tried to import the .vob files and it seems to work. The only problem is that the sound has lost the sync with the video and is about 1/2 a second behind.

I can adjust that on each individual movie file, but if anyone knows how to avoid this problem it would be a lot easier.

• 8. Re: Supported formats
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

midas222

You wrote

We cannot continue until we know for sure how you are defining "decrypted" DVD. Are you using "decrypted" to mean ripping of VOBs from unprotected DVDs?

If, by "decrypted" DVD, you mean removing protection from protected DVDs, we cannot continue.

ATR

• 9. Re: Supported formats
                          midas222 Level 1

Sorry, if I did not use the correct word. I meant ripping from unprotected DVDs.

• 10. Re: Supported formats
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

midas222

Thanks for the clarification.

You might want to take a look at my blog post on using Command Prompt for ripping VOBs from unprotected DVD-VIDEO and ending up with VOBs seamlessly merged into one DVD.VOB which can be imported into Premiere Elements minus the audio issues.

There was a recent thread here where this technique resolved the VOB ripping with audio issues.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

Please let us know if this worked for you also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Supported formats
                              midas222 Level 1

Thank you, very helpful.

I will try the Command Prompt approach on a PC.

I am using the Adobe Premiere Elements on a Mac, but I could not rip directly from a unprotected DVD. I am using an external Apple USB SuperDrive, but APE does not find a supported drive.

Any suggestions?

• 12. Re: Supported formats
                                midas222 Level 1

I tried the Command Prompt copy of one of the DVDs, everything went fine, but when I add it to Adobe Premier Elements 12 the audio is out of sync by about 1/4 second. So far I have not found a way to get any .VOB file into Adobe Premier without the sync problem.

I am running Mac OS 10.9 and Adobe Premier Elements 12.0

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

• 13. Re: Supported formats
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

midas222

If the built in VOB ripping of Premiere Elements and the Command Prompt method of generating a seamless merging of the VOB files into one does not do the job, then I am not sure of the whys if these are originary DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you are ripping from.

1. You could import the VOB and then unlink the audio and video and then nudge the two into sync. Would not work for you? In doing that, you select the Timeline video, for Windows you hold down the Alt key as you tap the arrow key once for a 1 frame nudge and Shift+Alt as you tap the arrow key once for a 5 frame nudge.

2. If you could post a screenshot of the video audio properties readout from MediaInfo (Tree View) perhaps we could find an explanation for the out of sync audio from it, What is the typical file size and duration of one of these files where the audio is out of sync with the video?

ATR

• 14. Re: Supported formats
                                    midas222 Level 1

Yes, unlinking the audio and video works. But with so many video files I would like to avoid this step. I downloaded the Adobe Premiere Pro CC and it imports the ripped VOB file fine.

If possible I would like to stay with Premiere Elements though.

Is this the info you were looking for (see below)?

The file sizes are between 1 GB and 4 GB, duration between 1/2 hour and 2 hours.

• 15. Re: Supported formats
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

midas222

Although the files sizes are interesting, I wanted to get a the core properties of the VOB and its actual readout for video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, etc. Many of these properties are standardized for a DVD-VIDEO, but I did not wanted to take anything for granted...the possibility of some sort of atypical video audio file which you are describing a VOB.

But of major interest is your latest report that Premiere Pro CS6 (presumed on Mac) works for you whereas Premiere Elements 12 Mac does not.

So

1. Is Premiere Pro CS6 on Mac? For now, we will assume, all is Mac...

2. Where are these VOBs now...on the hard drive of your Mac computer? What did you do in Premiere Pro, uses its Add Media to import the VOBs onto your Timeline or something else.

3. When you were using Premiere Elements 12 Mac, did you use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to import the VOBs from the same hard drive location.

4. What was the project preset for Premiere Elements 12 Mac and what was the project preet for Premiere Pro?

ATR