10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 2:01 PM by Onyx67

Media off-line?

Onyx67

Hi I just got Premiere elements 11 and just finished first movie edit, saved it but now I cant open it just get a media off-line picture, any help appreciated.........

• 1. Re: Media off-line?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This means that your media files have been disconnected from your project.

This can happen because the video files are on an external drive that has been disconnected -- or if they're still on  your camcorder and haven't been copied to your hard drive.

If you're sure your media files are on your computer, just follow the prompts when you first open your project to reconnect them to the media links in  your project.

• 2. Re: Media off-line?
            Onyx67 Level 1

Hi Thanks, yes media is on a remote hard drive but don’t seem to get any prompts about reconnecting them?

Will try to copy onto hard drive.

• 3. Re: Media off-line?
              Onyx67 Level 1

Thanks will try that much appreciated

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: Media off-line?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Onyx67

What exactly do you mean by "remote hard drive"? Is this some type of network drive or the typical USB external hard drive attached to the computer via USB? If USB external hard drive, is it formatted NTFS or FAT32?

Also, when you try to open the project that you say will not open, what is the first thing that you see...."Where is the file....?" type message or something else? During this time, are you clicking on any "Skip/Skip All" buttons in the dialog that you may be seeing?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Media off-line?
                  Onyx67 Level 1

Hi ATR

Sorry yes its a leCie external hard drive connected via USB. When I click on the Premiere icon for the movie it auto opens premiere and all clips and sound track are visible but no images can be seen and the main editing/viewing window is red and in a lot of languages says media off line, I tried to drag and drop from external to desktop but still no luck.

No worries really as it was just a first go to get used to the software but for future what/where is best way to save so this doesn’t happen again.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Media off-line?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Onyx67

Thanks for the additional information. Very helpful.

SG has already pointed to most of this.

When you see that colorful display in the re-opened project, that means that your project's imported files (really copies of the originals) are no longer tracing back to the originals at the original's hard drive save location.

So, when you open the saved/closed project, you are greeted by "Where is the file.....?" messages. Since you know where the originals are, you just (one by one) go through the messages and browse to and select the file at its saved location. I think that is probably the easiest way to do that although there are some advantages doing the reconnection using Replace Footage instead.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

If the above works, great. If not, we need to focus on the external hard drive. There may be a problem with the drive. What you need to look for is the external hard drive changing its drive letter. Another possibilitity is that you moved or deleted the orginals from the hard drive save location that existed when you first imported the files into the project. Even though the project has copies of the originals, it needs to be able to trace back to the originals (name et al) wherever they were when the files were imported into the project.

Lots to consider.

Please review and then let us know how you are progressing. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Media off-line?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For many causes of Media Offline situations, this Tips & Tricks article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5072666#5072666

For "Where is file ____ ?" messages, this Tips & Tricks article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

For using external HDD's to edit, this Tips & Tricks article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5880839#5880839

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Media off-line?
                        Onyx67 Level 1

Thanks very much ATR,

I will try to edit a new movie this weekend and see what happens, I think when I saved the last one to my hard drive I may have deleted some additional files that appeared to be empty!! but in hindsight must have been needed to reopen the saved file.

I will try to create a folder and put all data in that and try to reopen from the remote hard drive, sorry to be a bit unspecific but I am really just learning how to use Premiere Elements and I guess its a steeper learning curve than I thought!

Thanks again for all your help

Andrew.

• 9. Re: Media off-line?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Looking forward to your results.

If at any time working through your plan you run into any problems, please do not hesitate to stop and ask for clarification and further input on the situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Media off-line?
                            Onyx67 Level 1

Thank you I will keep you posted.

Andrew