Scary... RH10 is made so that you should be able to place it on a
network drive. Is your network speed up to par? Do you sometimes lose
connection to the network drive? Does the problem only occur with
snippets, or also with other files?
My network seems up to par - I can transfer large files (>100 MB) between my local disk and shared drives quickly enough (seconds, not minutes), and I don't lose connectivity.
The problem occurs only with snippets that I've noticed - the Broken Links report doesn't show any problems.
One more piece of info - I have had this project in RoboHelp for over 10 years, so it's been upgraded through several versions of RoboHelp. Not sure if that's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.
The problem with network drives used to be in the RH architecture for as
fas as I've understood it, not in the projects.
But you can try a small test project freshly created by RH10 on a
network drive. Do you then have the same problems? (You can just copy
your snippet files and the rhsnippet.apj to quicly add a load of snippets.)
I created a single-topic project on the network drive and imported all the snippets from my local project.
The rhsnippet.apj file for this little project does not become truncated - it's about 88 KB, the same as the local version of this file.
So I guess this tells me that the problem lies somewhere else in my RH project. Any ideas of where to look?
Or perhaps the sheer size of the APJ file. What happens if you import
the snippets from your large project into the test project?
Yes, that's what I did - when I said that I mported all the snippets from "my local project," I meant from my large project.
It looks like the APJ file size is only an issue when my large, legacy project is on the network. After importing all the snippets from my large, local project into my small test project on the network, the APJ file was just as big, but it did not become corrupted.
It appears the problem is only in the one project, correct.
I copied the large project to the network, deleted the CPD file, opened the project, and reproduced the error. So is seems like the CPD file is not the issue.
One more thing - I noticed that in addition to the error message popping up when I tried saving a new snippet, it also popped up when I exited the project. It's almost like RH has trouble writing to the file when it's on the network.
It turns out that this must be an issue with the permissions on the particular network drive that I was using. I can copy the project to a different network drive and subsequently create new snippets without the error message. I've tried doing a few other things, (new topics, new skin, and so on), and all seems to be working correctly.
I guess the lesson learned is to try to factor out network issues as early as possible. Thanks for the help - I've learned a lot along the way!