19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 8:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Clipped video in PE12

cwhowell2

I have a DVD of some 8mm movies that were scanned but the original files have been lost.  When I copy the 8 minute .VOB file from the DVD, it plays fine in Cyberlink's PowerDVD.  I can also rename the file to .MPG and it will play fine in Windows Media Player.  However, when I open the file in PE12, I only get the first 20 seconds.  Help.  - Bill

• 2. Re: Clipped video in PE12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cwhowell2

There should be no renaming of vob to mpg involved in any of the following.

If you have your content on a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format, you should be inserting that disc into the DVD burner try and using Premiere Elements 12 Add Media/"DVD camera or computer drive"/Video Importer to rip the VOBs from the disc and into Premiere Elements 12 project.

That is a very effective way to do that. But, there have been rare occasions when the process results in out of sync audio and miscellaneous other problems. When that happens, then you might want to consider using the Command Prompt method to create a DVD.vob which is essentially all the VOB files merged into one (seamlessly).

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

Please review and then let us know if you need clarification on anything written here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Clipped video in PE12
            cwhowell2 Level 1

I installed the converter as specified in the thread, however it appears to be a completely different program than the one shown in the instructions.  Also, it attempted to install many other ad-ware programs which got Norton very upset.  The more I read, the more I think I just wasted my money on APE12.  I only bought it because Windows Live Movie Maker wasn't working.  My original 8mm movies were lost in the 2011 floods here and I only have the DVD that was produced from the original scans.  I wonder if there is a professional service that could do a one time rip for me?  Anyway, thanks for the replies.  - Bill

• 4. Re: Clipped video in PE12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ccwhowell2

I just saw your reply to John T. Smith who appears to have offered Premiere Pro links for your Premiere Elements 12 situation. Am I mistaken on that? Are you following Premiere Elements 12 directions and workflows or other?

Have you read my post numbered 2 in your thread? From what I have read, your goals seem compatible with Premiere Elements 12 features. Confirmation by you on the details I asked about will confirm that or refute it.

Premiere Elements 12 can rip VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. How many DVD discs are involved?

The answers will be in the Premiere Elements details not in those from another program.

Hope we can help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are talking about http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP that was a Jim Simon message (and is not a Premiere Pro product, even though the message is in the Premiere Pro area)

If you are having a problem with the tool that Jim Simon uses, you might post in that message thread and ask him for more information

• 6. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                  cwhowell2 Level 1

Hi A.T. - Thanks for the reply.  Here's the detail:

The DVD, plays fine in Windows Media Player from my CD/DVD drive.  Using Explorer, the DVD has a combination of .BUP, .IFO and .VOB files.

VTS_01_1.VOB (this is the 8 minute file I can copy and play)

VTS_02_1.VOB

VTS_02_2.VOB

VTS_03_1.VOB

VTS_03_2.VOB

The first file is the one that I open in APE12 and it only gets the first 20 seconds.  I have also opened the entire DVD, which plays fine in Windows Media Player or my stand alone DVD-TV player.  However APE12 gets all three sections but clips the first one to 20 seconds.

I have also renamed VTS_01_1.VOB to "CLIP.MPG" and can play the entire 8 minutes in Windows Media Player, however Explorer Properties reports the length to be 20 seconds, and APE12 also imports the MPG as 20 seconds only.  The file is about 450mb so I don't think I can upload it anywhere.

Thanks again for your help. - Bill

• 7. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill,

Thanks for the follow up.

Premiere Elements 12 should do a good job ripping those VOBs from the DVD-VIDEO format. That is why I am not seeing using brand x tools for the job unless Premiere Elements 12 is ruled out after actually trying it. Could you take on DVD disc and give this a try.

1. Insert the DVD into the DVD burner tray.

2. Open Premiere Elements 12. Go to File Menu/New/Project. In the new project preset set for NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen whichever represents what is on the DVD. Before exiting the new project dialog, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of the new project dialog.

3. In the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, use Add Media/"DVD camera and computer drive"/Video Importer.

4. In the Video Importer, set the Source as the drive into which you have inserted your disc. In Save In:, that will probably be set for Video (leave it like that for this first run through). Refresh the Source field if necessary. You should soon see your VOBs populating the Video Importer. You want to select only those VOBs that represent your video. Typically the first title set starts with VTS_01_1.VOB. But, there may be variations. So, as a guideline, look for the the files with the greatest file sizes.

5. The Command Prompt is a seamless alternative, but, with a lot of file names ot type in, it may not be preferred. Let us see what this mini test run looks like.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...For the mini test run, you may want to see how far you can get selecting just the VTS_01_1.VOB in the Video Importer (if that file's size indicates that it is a core video file).

• 9. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                      cwhowell2 Level 1

VTS_01_1.VOB is the one I want.  I can play the full 8 minutes however as you can see, APE12 thinks it's only 20 seconds.

• 11. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                        cwhowell2 Level 1

Windows Explorer thinks it's 20 seconds too, however the full 8 mnutes will play.

• 12. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

cwhowell2

Thanks for the follow up.

Could you take a look at

VTS_02_1.VOB

and

VTS_03_1.VOB

Both of these give the expected file size of 0.99 GB, that VTS_01_01 does not. I suspect it is the VTS_02_1.VOB and VTS_03_1.VOB that you should be looking at. Sometimes these DVD-VIDEO structures presentations are complicated.

After you look at these suggested files that we can reflect on how VTS_01_1.VOB is interacting with the rest.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                            cwhowell2 Level 1

VTS_02_1.VOB and VTS_03_1.VOB are video clips I am not interested in.  I have played both to the end and neither includes any of the video contained in VTS_01_1.VOB.  Also, as I mentioned, playing VTS_01_1.VOB directly from Windows Explorer gets the entire 8 minutes.  The player at first shows the end point at 00:20, however the player continues past that point all the way to the end.  I'm beginning to wonder if I have a corrupted file?  The other ones import normally.

Bill

• 14. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cwhowell2

In the simplied models that you see of the VIDEO_TS Folder contents, the video VOBs are generated sequentially, starting with VTS_01_1.VOB. The VTS_01_0.VOB typically is the menu. I do not see a VTS_01_0.VOB in your lineup.

What part of the video are you expecting that VTS_01_01.VOB to represent....is it some part of the menus, a first play before the menus, the very beginning of the movie? If any of these, that is one long menu (8 minutes?)

What does the Windows Media Player tell you in this regard? In the Windows Media Player do you believe that you are seeing 8 minutes of new footage or does that 8 minutes include repeats that could add up to 8 minutes?

Also, if you look at VTS_02_01.VOB that looks to me like the start of the movie (suggested by the title toward the top).

I will do some homework on this, but please see what information you can find on the content of that VTS_01_1.VOB.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                                cwhowell2 Level 1

ATR, Yes, I can confirm that VTS_01_1.VOB contains my original 8 minutes of video.  There are 2 additional clips of 15 minutes or more each on the DVD that are contained in VTS_02_1, 02_2 and VTS_03_1, 03_2.  These two sections import correctly.  The first file VIDEO_TS etc, is a blurb with titles etc.

Thanks - Bill

• 16. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

cwhowell2

How about this.

Have you had a chance to read my blog post on using Command Prompt to rip VOBs from the DVD-VIDEO?

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

If not, please give that a read and then let us try to get one seamless file consisting of VTS_01_1.VOB + VTS_02_1.VOB + VTS_03_1.VOB. Check the figures in the blog post to get a handle on the approach. That should give us a DVD.VOB which will be a seamless merging of these three files. If we can get that to work, it will be interesting to see if we get

8 minutes + 15 minutes + 15 minutes

or

20 seconds + 15 minutes + 15 minutes

for the DVD.VOB duration.

Meanwhile, I will keep thinking about what we now have.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                                    cwhowell2 Level 1

Step 1 complete: command.JPG

• 18. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                                      cwhowell2 Level 1

BINGO!!!  Problem solved.  Thank you ATR.  Now I just have to learn how to use Premier.  - Bill

• 19. Re: Clipped video in PE12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

cwhowell2

Great new. Great job.

If you have not already, just find the saved DVD.VOB and import it into Premiere Elements from there. Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Projects Assets and to the Timeline should do it.

Before you do the Add Media/...., best set the project preset yourself manually...

File Menu/New/Project

if those VOBs are 16:9, then project preset NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen

if those VOBs are 4:3m then project preset NTSC or PAL Standard

Check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" Close out of the new project dialog.

Then do the Add Media/.....

Looking forward to your results when you get the time. Congratulations on your success.

ATR