4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 11:51 AM by HippieBoy Chris

Audio volume difference between Audition and AE

HippieBoy Chris Level 1

Hello! If this is in the incorrect forum, please let me know.

(Mac Maverick, Adobe CC.) A customer provided a clip to me for production as a .MOV file. The audio was way, way hot on the clip, so I ran it through QuickTime to export the audio, took that file into Audition to normalize the levels, exported it as a .WAV, and imported the WAV into After Effects. Okey dokey.

Problem is, the audio from After Effects is still very much louder than the .WAV file. I rendered from AE to .MP4 and uploaded that to Vimeo to show my customer, and the audio was very overwhelming. So I went back and repeated the process to make sure I hadn't messed anything up, and had the same results. I went in to the Audio panel in AE and lowered the audio a full 96dB, but it had no effect on the final rendered .MP4.

Can someone point me to some resources that explain the relationship between Audition and After Effects, or (optimally) explain how it all works in very small words? I seem to be a bear of very little brain...

• 1. Re: Audio volume difference between Audition and AE
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

A customer provided a clip to me for production as a .MOV file. The audio was way, way hot on the clip...

Was "hot" merely too loud, or was it overmodulated and distored?  What application did you use to determine that it was "hot"?

Problem is, the audio from After Effects is still very much louder than the .WAV file.

Do you have multiple instances of the same audio in the same AE comp?  did you forget to turn off the little speaker icons on the undesired instances?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio volume difference between Audition and AE
            HippieBoy Chris Level 1

Hi Mr. LaRonde - thank you for taking time to help! I very much appreciate any insight!

By "hot" I meant way loud, bordering on distorted. The volume was through the roof. When I brought the audio into Audition, the levels were maxed (see attached screenshot). I used the happy little volume knob (you can see it in the screenshot right in the middle towards the top) to drag the levels down until the dB meter was bouncing between -6 and -3 with no "red". I exported as a .WAV, which I then imported into AE with the video (a single instance), rendered that as an MP4. The MP4 had the same "over the top" volume as the original had, yet when I checked the exported .WAV the volume was fine.

LOUD --> Fixed in Audition --> Quiet --> Utilized in AE --> LOUD AGAIN.

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 12.10.50 PM.png

• 3. Re: Audio volume difference between Audition and AE
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

It certainly sounds as if you have two instances of the same audio in the same AE comp... and both were left turned on.  Double-check that comp, and turn off the speaker icon on the audio you don't want to use.  The chances are EXCELLENT your video still has an audio track attached to it

• 4. Re: Audio volume difference between Audition and AE
                HippieBoy Chris Level 1

Boy, if that's the mistake I'm making, I'm not seeing it. The comp is about as simple as it can be - I... WAIT! DUDE - there it is, big as day! How did I not see this? I looked right at it the first time you mentioned having two versions of the audio! There's three things in my timeline and two of them have audio...

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 1.46.39 PM.png