1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 4:52 AM by AnshulJain19

find & change in multiple selected stories

Douglas Gifford

Forgive my lack of basics. I've not scripted in years and can't recall enough specifics to get re-started. I'd like to do this in applescript.

What I want to achieve is to convert a bunch of musical chord names in multiple stories from "C" to "1"; "D" to "2" and so-on.

Right now I do it by hand. I select the stories (they're all on one layer called "chords"). Then I replace all "C" with "1" with "stories" selected in the dialog box. Repeat with "D" and "2", "E" and "3" etc up to "B".

something like

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS2" 

tell selected stories of current document

change all "C" to "1"

change all "D" to "2"

etc.

end tell

end tell

but, of course, this doesn't actually work because I don't know the right words

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have hundreds of songs to change and this will save me, perhaps, days of idiot work.

• 1. Re: find & change in multiple selected stories
          AnshulJain19 Adobe Employee

Hi Douglas,

Following script will help you in finding and changing some strings in a document. This script also sets find options, so you can lock all the other layers for which you do not want to change these strings and "set include locked layers for find of find change text options to false". So that replacement of strings only happens in unlocked layers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC"

--Clear the find/change preferences.

set find text preferences to nothing

set change text preferences to nothing

--Search the document for the string "c".

set find what of find text preferences to "c"

set change to of change text preferences to "1"

--Set the find options.

set case sensitive of find change text options to false

set include footnotes of find change text options to false

set include hidden layers of find change text options to false

set include locked layers for find of find change text options to false

set include locked stories for find of find change text options to false

set include master pages of find change text options to false

set whole word of find change text options to false

set myDoc to active document

tell every story of myDoc

set myFoundItems to find text

set myFoundItems to change text

end tell

end tell

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------

Regards

-Anshul