5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 3:37 PM by Josh_Corey

Collect Multiple Responses Into Single Column

Tyson788

I need a form that can collect multiple names and phone numbers and save the data in two columns. One column for names and one column for phone numbers.

How can I do this?

• 1. Re: Collect Multiple Responses Into Single Column
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

You could use a formula in the "View Responses" table to create a single column that would concatenate the other columns into one - see my response to this post earlier that should answer your inquiry as well: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1351642?tstart=0

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Collect Multiple Responses Into Single Column
            Tyson788 Level 1

I'm not sure I understand correctly. I inserted a new blank column (B) and inserted the formula "= CONCATENATE(C1, E1, G1)" in B1. It joins the values of C1, E1, and G1 all in the same cell instead of each value in its own cell.

• 3. Re: Collect Multiple Responses Into Single Column

Yes, you understood correctly, but maybe I had not understood your request if that doesn't make sense... 

If in your form you have numerous "Name" fields and "Phone Number" fields, when users submit their responses you would see each name and phone number field in it's own column in the response table.  What I understood you looking for was to have them all in the same column and that is the solution I provided...  Another way you could view one users response in a single column as opposed to a row of multiple columns is to use the "View" - "Detailed View" for any single response.

Can you clarify what you are looking for and I will try to give a better answer?

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Collect Multiple Responses Into Single Column
                Tyson788 Level 1

My form looks like this:

Name:

Phone:

Name:

Phone:

Name:

Phone:

------------------------------

So responses come in looking like this:

Name:          Phone:                 Name:          Phone:             Name:          Phone:

John             xxx-xxx-xxxx          Jane          xxx-xxx-xxxx          Paul          xxx-xxx-xxxx

--------------------------------------

I need them to look like this:

Name:          Phone:

John          xxx-xxx-xxxx

Jane          xxx-xxx-xxxx

Paul          xxx-xxx-xxxx

• 5. Re: Collect Multiple Responses Into Single Column

Got it, I did understand originally and the best I can recommend is to see if you can accomplish something that works for you using a formula in an adjacent column where you'd concatenate the name and phone number fields and could hopefully incude "new line" so each name/phone pair is on a new line.  This would put all of the names and phone numbers from any one respondant into a single cell in the table.

The format you are requesting isn't something FormsCentral supports so I am trying to give you some direction on how you could accomplish something similar using a formula.

You could then also hide the original columns with the names/numbers and only have the one with the "list" in each cell shown.  This is the best work around I can think of for your request.

Thanks,

Josh

1 person found this helpful