1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2013 12:45 PM by Peter Spier RSS

InDesign Questions

nicolemariesalon

I am trying to order my business cards and brouchures that I made on InDesign through FedEx but everytime I save them to my desktop they just show up plain white.  They both have a black background with white print including my logo.  Can someone help me to figure out why I can't see them when I view or save out of InDesign? Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign Questions
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Did you add a frame filled with Black as a background?

• 2. Re: InDesign Questions
            nicolemariesalon Community Member

No.. I'm not sure how to do that. Is there a way that I can send you the

document?

• 3. Re: InDesign Questions
              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Yes, but there's really no need, I think.

Let's see if we can figure out how the file is built. How did you make the black background?

• 4. Re: InDesign Questions

Ok.. I just changed it on the side under the Swatches, I think.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: InDesign Questions
                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Can you post a screen shot of the card with boththe background and the text selected (you can do a Select All) and the swatches panel visible? I'm having trouble coming up with a way you could have black background and white type WITHOUT a background frame...

You can embed your screen capture in a post by using the camea icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 6. Re: InDesign Questions

I did that but it said "The content type of this image in not allowed"

• 7. Re: InDesign Questions

I did the screen shots with the swatches shown, too.

• 8. Re: InDesign Questions
                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

nicolemariesalon wrote:

I did that but it said "The content type of this image in not allowed"

The forum will accept jpeg, png or bmp, I believe.

• 9. Re: InDesign Questions

so do i save it or just take a screen shot of it? Sorry! I'm just trying to

figure it

• 10. Re: InDesign Questions
                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Make a screen shot, save that as .png or .jpg, and use that withthe camera icon.

• 12. Re: InDesign Questions
                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

OK, I see what you've done. You redefined [Paper] to be black, then created a new swatch for white. This will not work.

[Paper], no matter how you define it means "no ink here -- let the paper show through." You can redfine it to make it easier to visualize what your project will look like when you print on colored stock, but it has no output. Similarly, you don't typically print white, you leave a hole in theother color and let the white paper show through.

So....

Redefine the [Paper] swatch back the the default white color, make a new layer to hold your black background (this makes it easier to work) and drag a rectangle large enough to cover the whole page, plus the required bleed allowance, and fill it with [Black] or a 4-color rich black mix (more expensive to print, but you've already got a full-color photo so you're payijng for full color anyway and it will look darker), then lock the layer. Use the [Paper] swatch for the fill color for the type.

• 13. Re: InDesign Questions

Will you be available tomorrow where I can work on it and continue having you help me? I appreciate your assistance.

Best,

Tabitha

Sent from my iPhone

• 14. Re: InDesign Questions
                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm sure I'll be around at least part of the day.

• 15. Re: InDesign Questions

Ok..great, thanks! It would be in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone

• 16. Re: InDesign Questions

Hi Peter,

Ok so I tried to do what you said and drew a rectangle to cover whole page

and then clicked the black color on the swatches but it just filled in my

text boxes not the whole page? What is a 4 color rich black mix?

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM, NicoleMarieSalon <nicolemariesalon@gmail.com

• 17. Re: InDesign Questions

I even selected all and tried to do it that way but it only colors in the

text boxes?

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Nicole Rafalin

• 18. Re: InDesign Questions
                                          Daniel Flavin Community Member

InDesign relies on "stacking order", the arraingment of one item higher up the stack than other items. (Think about ten playing cards randomly thrown on top of each other. You will only see the corner of cards sticking out beneath the top card)

Stacking Order is all the items on a layer, and layers above/below layers.

You ended up with your black filled frame higher in the stack than the type frame.

Layers are helpful. (They can be locked to prevent selecting the black frame as you modify/add type or other elements)

Capture.JPG

You're going to stumble (fail) much in this endeavor to create your materials. Unless you are very artistic/creative/adept at design, you might want to hand off your concepts to someone qualified at this. Pardon the bluntness.  I can do anything in InDesign I have been handed to re-create, but in ten years have only "designed" a handful of pieces I'm proud of.

• 19. Re: InDesign Questions
                                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm really sorry I forgot to mention stacking to you last night. My sincere apologies for foretting that it wasn't obvious that your background frame needs to be behind the text frames. You can select it, then Object > Arrange > Send to Back, but as Daniel mentions, this is actually a good place to use a layer that is dedecated to just the background frame (and drag that layer to the bottom of the stack in the layers panel, then Lock it after you make your background frames to prevent accidentally activating it as a text frame).

• 20. Re: InDesign Questions

That's ok! I appreciate any help or tips you guys are willing to give.  With the stacking will I then be able to save properly and get these printed up through the FedEx site? I understand, as Daniel mentioned, that I'm clearly not as understanding of InDesign as others, but I have created and built my brochures and business cards thus far, need them for next week and am not willing to pass the project onto someone else.  The assistance as I'm doing it has helped greatly.

So, in the case of stacking would this then make my projects able to be saved, uploaded and printed?

Sent from my iPhone

• 21. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                Daniel Flavin Community Member

Yes, you are actually close to complete.

Either - Select the black frame and (from the Object Menu) Arrange > Send to Back

or - create a new layer. Move the type objects to the higher layer. (I might create the layer, than select all, click the black frame to de-select it, than on the layers panel, slide the square dot on the layer to the higher, new layer).

It would be prudent to preview you work via - Hit W on the keyboard (without the type tool active), and/or from the view menu, toggle Overprint Preview, my preferred working mode. (It accuartley displays overprints/effects)

• 22. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

We forget to tell you about Rich Black...

Rich Black is made from C.M.Y, and K inks and looks darker than just the regular [Black] ink in print (which is only 100% K, no C,M or Y). You can see the differnce on screen, too if you set the prefernces for Appearance of Black to Display all Blacks Accurately.

The trick is to use a mix that will print without puddling or offestting onto the back of the next sheet, or flaking off on a laser print, and that depends on the press/printer conditions. You'd probably be safe on any device using a mix of 50C, 40M, 40Y, 100K, but you could reduce the K to as little as 80-85 without much penalty in terms of appearance, and it might actually print better. The cyan value is higher to compensate for the tendency of equal values of C,M and Y to be a little brown rather than black or gray.

• 23. Re: InDesign Questions

What if I just start over? Would that be easier? I am having a hard time

trying to figure out exactly how to find my black layer.

• 24. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

You don't need to recreate everything.

Make a new file, then add the background black frames on layer 1. Lock the layer, and click the new layer button at the bottom of the layers panel.

Now go to your other file, select your text and images, and copy. Go back to the new file and Paste In Place.

• 25. Re: InDesign Questions

Ok that is what I just did.  I am having an issue with the logo.. I created

it in Photoshop and used the eraser tool to eraser 2 marks from the

signature that were accidentally there.  I have it saved as a png and it is

transparent but when I drag it into my business card it shows up as a large

white box.  How can I import the saved image? The one that I fixed.. Also,

since it is so large what is the best was to resize it for both the

brochure and business card?

• 26. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

From where are you dragging?

You should save as .psd or PDF (if there is live typ or other vector content) from Photoshop, and place that.

You can scale it in ID. One way would be to resize the frame, then choose Fit to Frame Proportionally from the fitting options.

• 27. Re: InDesign Questions

I have it saved on my desktop.. it is the one that I created in Photoshop

and used for the website.  www.nicolemariesalon.com   But when I drag it

into the business card or brochure it just comes up big and white.  I have

one saved as a PNG and one saved as a Photoshop document.  The ones that

are in the business card and brochure from when I first sent you a screen

shot are not the right ones I erased a couple stray marks on it before

using it for website and want to do the same before I send them to print.

• 28. Re: InDesign Questions

And how do I save as PDF on InDesign? and not just an InDesign file.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Nicole Rafalin

• 29. Re: InDesign Questions

I just did Adobe PDF Presets and saved it high quality and when I clicked

the PDF the background it still white except for the text boxes..

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Nicole Rafalin

• 30. Re: InDesign Questions

When I did Overprint Preview everything was just 2 black sheets of paper..

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Nicole Rafalin

• 31. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                                    Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Ok. Let's go back to the beginning here.

The [Paper] swatch should be white, not black.

Create a new file in InDesign. Add a black-filled frame for the background, then lock the layer. Add a second layer for your other content.

Save your logo in PHOTOSHOP as either .psd OR PDF (use PDF if there is live type or vector content) with a transparent background.

Use File > Place... to add the logo. DO NOT DRAG it from Photoshop (you can drag from Mac Finder, Windows Explorer, or Bridge, but nowhere else).

Add text frames and set your type using [Paper] for the text fill color.

• 32. Re: InDesign Questions

Ok, I definitely changed the paper swatch to the CMYK colors that you said.

How do I add a black filled frame?

• 33. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Use the rectangle tool to draw a frame that fills the page. Select the fill icon in the swatches panel to make it active and fill it with black.

• 34. Re: InDesign Questions

WOW! I actually think that I got it!! I saved it as a PDF and viewed it and

it looks exactly how I have it in ID.. does that mean that's how it will

print??

• 35. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

If you used the correct settings for the PDF, then Yes.

• 36. Re: InDesign Questions

I did File > Export > Made sure it was a PDF then click High Quality for

the print part? and It still looks right. Hopefully it works.. Seriously I

cannot thank you enough, I really appreciate all the time you took

responding to me and helping me.

• 37. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                                                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Since I don't know waht your printer is looking for, I can't say if that's the right setting. High Quality Print is usually used for digital printing. It does not convert RGB images to CMYK, but that may not be a problem. Did you get any guidelines from FedEx?

• 38. Re: InDesign Questions

I didn't have a problem uploading and viewing the brochures.. but with the

business cards it is saying that they "contain a non-standard page size"

and don't really give me many options nor does their support team.  Do you

know anywhere good to print business cards from ID?

• 39. Re: InDesign Questions
                                                                                    Peter Spier CommunityMVP

To do something the online service consider non-standard you'll probably need to use a local printer.

In the US, a standard business card is 3.5 x 2 inches, but some online printers offer other sizes as well (Moo.com comes to mind).

1 2 Previous Next