6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2013 9:35 PM by pwillener RSS

need help with pdf file

Valerie123

I have the version Adobe Reader XI and I can't open up a pdf attachment.  I tried all the troubleshooting in the help menu but nothing is working.   I have to be able to open up pdf file every day. HELP

• 1. Re: need help with pdf file
          pwillener ACP/MVPs

What exactly means "can't"?

• 2. Re: need help with pdf file
            Valerie123 Community Member

When you click on the pdf file it won't open at all.  The file came in with a (save) at the bottom of it and I don't want this feature.  I want to just double click on the pdf file and open in my email.  It won't do this.  Even my old emails that were saved in my email account went to this.  They now have a (save) at the bottom of the pdf file when I use to be able to open them.  I tried saving them but I can't get that to work either.  It looks like the Adobe reader needs some settings changed and I can't figure out how to get it back to the setting that lets you open up a pdf file in your email.

• 3. Re: need help with pdf file
              Test Screen Name MVP

It's likely to be a browser setting, but these things can be hard to fix. I suggest using SAVE, it isn't so bad to save to desktop then open.

• 4. Re: need help with pdf file
                Test Screen Name MVP

Ah, you say SAVE doesn't work. That is not anything to do with Adobe Reader, but perhaps we can help anyway. What is the App from which you are trying to save? What EXACTLY happens when you try to save?

• 5. Re: need help with pdf file
                  Valerie123 Community Member

Okay the pdf file has a little (save) at the bottom of the file and when you click on it, it says (save to my computer) When I click on this it does not give me an option of where to put the file it just blinks for a secondlike it saved it somewhere but when I go into my c drive and look I can't find it or when I go into adobe reader I can't find it so I tried right clicking on the save to my computer and got these messages

open

Open in tab

open in new window

save target as

Now I have tried all of these and it does the same thing.  Just blinks for a second like it did something but again I can't find the file.  I really would like to just go back to opening the file in my email.  Do you think if I uninstalled Adobe reader X1 and reinstalled another adobe reader that might get me back to what I used to have?  This just happened yesterday and I have the same browser and haven't changed anything on my browser but I did update adobe reader so I was thinking it had something to do with Adobe reader X1.

If you don't think this will work then go ahead and walk me through saving the pdf file but so far I have not been able to open or save it.

• 6. Re: need help with pdf file
                    pwillener ACP/MVPs

So you are viewing your email in a browser?  Which browser & version?